boyjaew2

USMT (6?) SCCM 2012 R2

Question

Hey all,

Is there a super detailed tutorial for USMT someone can point me to? I'm getting ready to experiment with this for the first time using SCCM 2012 R2. Previously I have used the hardlinking method to do in place upgrades from win xp to 7 using a USB and some scripting, but have no clue how to utilize sccm in this regard.

My goals are to be able to do in place OS refresh - same hardware, OS refresh from win 7 to win 7 without having to migrate files, settings and install programs again manually - I think I was able to do that previously. It's been a while though. I could be wrong about not having to re-install software.

Secondly, a migration from old hardware to new hardware, same OS (win7 to win7) with the same caveats in mind - saving files, settings and applications.

Lastly, an in place upgrade - same hardware upgrading from win 7 to win 8.1 with the files, settings and applications not having to be done manually.

Like I said I have no idea what the prerequisites are and no clue about the process. I run sccm 2012 R2, I have WADK for 8.1 installed (don't know if that's important), in my sccm console I'm showing USMT tool for win 8.1 version 6.3.9600.16384, config manager client upgrade version 5.0, nothing built under User state Migration and no packages or task sequences related to this process. Super noob in this area.

I would really appreciate any direction, thanks!

2 answers to this question

if you want to start with all those things then checkout the CM12 BitLocker FrontEnd HTA, don't worry about the bitlocker part, all the data migration ability is contained in the task sequence and associated scripts, you can check it out here.