Kevin-ICT

Configuration Manager Client Upgrade

Question

Hello all, (and especially anyweb, this site has been a great help to me)

I have gotten to the point in configuring Config Manager 2007 (on server 2k8 in Hyper-V) where I need to create a package to deploy windows7 to bare metal boxes. The issue I have is when I go to the 'Create Package from Definition Wizard' , I have no option to select Config Manager Client Upgrade. The attached screenshot is from a post here on these forums. It shows what I do not have. I am very sorry if this question has been asked a million times, I did my best to search the forums thoroughly before I posted this. I guess I am hoping someone will simply say 'you forgot to check this box here', and everything will go ahead fine.

post-3566-12507802138669_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

edit--> I am using SW_DVD5_Win_Pro_7_64BIT_English_Full_MLF_X15-71037.ISO (the latest and greatest from MVLS) and SQL2k5 on a win2k8 64bit v-server in Hyper-V.

welcome to the forums kevin,

ok can you post a screenshot of what you see please ?

also, you need sp2 to deploy windows 7 and its available (beta) on microsoft connect

how odd, i'm in the process of re-doing the Deploy 7 guide and i see that package from definition listed, are you using SCCM 2007 SP1 or another version ???

That's indeed odd... with a default installation it should be there...

But you can create it yourself to. You can use the following code/ text and save it as smsclient.sms on your harddrive. Then just browse from the wizard to the location where you saved it and your done :)

[PACKAGE DEFINITION]
LANGUAGE=ALL
COMMENT=IMPORTANT - It is recommended that BITS is deployed prior to client upgrade.  Please read documentation for information.
VERSION=4.0
NAME=Configuration Manager Client Upgrade
PUBLISHER=Microsoft
PROGRAMS=SInstall
[sINSTALL]
WIN NT (X64) MINVERSION1=5.20.0000.0
WIN NT (X64) MINVERSION2=5.20.3790.0
WIN NT (X64) MINVERSION3=5.20.3790.0
WIN NT (I386) MAXVERSION1=5.00.2195.4
SUPPORTEDCLIENTS=Win NT (I386),Win NT (IA64),Win NT (x64)
ADMINRIGHTSREQUIRED=True
WIN NT (X64) MINVERSION4=6.00.0000.0
WIN NT (I386) MAXVERSION2=5.10.2600.2
WIN NT (I386) MAXVERSION3=5.20.9999.9999
USERINPUTREQUIRED=False
WIN NT (IA64) MAXVERSION1=5.20.9999.9999
WIN NT (I386) MAXVERSION4=5.20.3790.2
WIN NT (I386) MAXVERSION5=6.00.9999.9999
COMMENT=IMPORTANT - Please refer to product documentation to determine the correct ccmsetup parameters.
WIN NT (I386) MINVERSION1=5.00.2195.4
WIN NT (I386) MINVERSION2=5.10.2600.2
COMMANDLINE=CCMSETUP.EXE /noservice SMSSITECODE=AUTO
WIN NT (X64) MAXVERSION1=5.20.9999.9999
WIN NT (I386) MINVERSION3=5.20.0000.0
WIN NT (X64) MAXVERSION2=5.20.9999.9999
WIN NT (IA64) MINVERSION1=5.20.0000.0
WIN NT (I386) MINVERSION4=5.20.3790.0
NAME=Advanced Client Silent Upgrade
WIN NT (X64) MAXVERSION3=5.20.3790.2
WIN NT (I386) MINVERSION5=6.00.0000.0
WIN NT (X64) MAXVERSION4=6.00.9999.9999
CANRUNWHEN=AnyUserStatus
[PDF]
VERSION=2.0

interesting tip Peter thanks !

now back to the problem, which i'd really like to understand, i looked at the screenshot some more and there is the red exclamation mark there to the right of where the package from definition SHOULD be

so can you try clicking there in the whitespace and click next, what happens ?

anyweb:

The exclamation mark, when you do a mouse over, simply indicates that I have not yet selected a package definition. When I click on a package, it vanishes. If I try to click in the whitespace, the exclamation mark remains. If I click Next, it pops up an error encouraging me to make a selection. I would be happy to include a screenshot if you think it would help. I am using SCCM 2007 SP1, downloaded right from MVLS.

Peter:

That looks great. After I perform the install of SP2, I will incorporate that if I need to.

Thanks for the excellent responses.

Cheers,

Kevin

hi Kevin

i'm very aware of why the red exclamation mark is there i'm just trying to understand why you are seeing (or rather not seeing) this package from definition problem

how did you install SCCM and is there anything you did that may have contributed to this ? what user are you logged on as ? is MDT installed and configured ?

anyweb,

I installed SCCM as plainly as I could, pure vanilla here. I'm not under the impression I did anything to affect whether this package should appear or not. I was (and still am) using the domain\admin account for the whole thing. I used MicrosoftDeploymentToolkit_x64.msi and configured it the way you show to do it in the Vista deployment guide.

how weird,

is your system status in sccm reporting ok ?

i'd like to find out why the package from definition is missing, hence my questions

if there's anything you think would shed some light on this let me know

cheers

niall

niall,

I appreciate your time and effort. I began the install of SP2, and got this during the prerequisite checker:

post-3566-12508016223297_thumb.jpg

When I performed the original install, I got the WSUS error, but I thought nothing of it, because I will have it reach out and chat with WSUS in our production environment once it gets out of Hyper-V. The error I don't like is the Unsupported site server blah blah blah. I will use your word, WEIRD. I was under the impression that Server 2008 was newer than 2003 (lol). In your expert opinion, should I continue to do the SP upgrade, is this something that can be tweaked or changed once SCCM is upgraded?

Then I looked at the Site Status, as per your suggestion. I kind of wish I hadn't. Under Site Status, I got this:

post-3566-1250803142337_thumb.jpg

Then Component Status:

post-3566-12508031724724_thumb.jpg

Then Site System Status:

post-3566-12508032084171_thumb.jpg

Now, do you suggest that I continue to pursue this, or start my re-install of the whole thing tomorrow morning? If I am too far gone to repair it, I would be happy to spend my time rebuilding SCCM. I have a lot of faith that this is a very good solution, and I want to make it work. Fresh start or can you suggest how I can start dealing with the issues?

Cheers !

Kevin