Kevin79

Deploying IE

I posted this in the Software Update Point forum but haven't gotten any replies so I'm going to post it here...

I want to deploy IE10 to the computers in my domain. I'm using SCCM/SUP to push out updates to my computers. I approved IE10 (both 32bit and 64bit) and 75% of the computers that need the update are showing up as not needing it. Why is this? When looking at a report (Software Updates - A Compliance > Compliance 6 - Specific software update states (secondary)) I get this:

State Count of Computers % of Total

Update is not required 1343 73.27%

Update is installed 293 15.98%

Update is required 125 6.82%

Detection state unknown 72 3.93%

Total 1833 100.00%

If I look in the Deployment status in the SCCM Console (Monitoring > Deployments) and look at a specific computer, it says the computer is compliant even though I know it still has IE9 on it. If I look at the computer that it says is compliant but still has IE9 in the SCCM Console (Assets and Compliances) it says Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems is deployed to it.

How do I get this working?

Check HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\svcVersion on one of the affected computers.

It may have been set higher than the actual IE version to trick something that needs a higher IE version into installing or running.

If it starts with 10. or 11. you might have to set it back to 9. to make it uncompliant so that the update will work.