nov1ce

newbie question about reference image

Hello,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, this is my first experience with SCCM (SCCM 2012 R2).

I'm working on a reference image for our new PCs. They are all physical PCs with the same motherboard, so I installed a PC running Windows 7 SP1 64bit (+updates and drivers). Then I created a new boot image in SCCM and attached LAN drivers. I used this boot image to create a capture CD. I ran it on a reference PC and managed to capture the image. So far so good.

My question is, what's happenning to the reference PC after the capture? After I reboot it, it asks me to setup a user account like it's a new installation. All drivers/updates are there, but some settings are gone (for example local Administrator is disabled, KMS keys are no longer deployed, IPv6 is enabled and etc.). Is it because of the sysprep? I was expecting to have the same state before the capture, so I can use it to build another image (with additional software installed), but it looks like I have to reset some settings every time I run the capture. Is it expected?

And another question: once I add and distribute my newly created image in SCCM, where exactly I configure it to join the domain?

Many thanks!

the first thing you should do is create your reference image on virtual hardware, not on real machines, that way you keep the image driver agnostic and can save the snapshot to revert to the state it was prior,

secondly, some would argue you should make your reference images in MDT 2013, that's up to you, there are advantages to that method but it does mean having two environments to keep in place,

but back to your question, yes what you are seeing is normal, and no, i wouldnt recommend you 'reuse' the machine, infact i wouldn't recommend you build a reference image on real hardware at all, use hyperv (or another virtual software) to create virtual machines and customize your deploy task sequences with apply driver package steps to deploy to different hardware

• Like 1

Thank you! We're using VMware, which means I have to install VMware Tools in a reference image to get the NIC running, right? How do I get rid of it during the deployment to the physical machines? Do you mean I'll need a task sequence to uninstall VMware Tools and then apply proper drivers?

Hi Paul,

Thank you, but I think I'm missing something. Let me rephrase the question.

- I deploy a virtual machine (we're using VMware ESXi) and install Windows 7 SP1 X64 with all latest updates, software packages, tweaks. I also install VMware Tools to get the NIC working. This is going to be my reference image which is later going to be used to deploy physical machines (I'm aware about adding drivers for physical machines).

- I prepare a capture CD for my reference image and use the boot image with VMware drivers injected so my NIC is identified.

- I run my capture CD on the reference image and get a wim file. So, at this stage VMware Tools were already captured? How to avoid it?

Thanks.

I wouldn't be too concerned about capturing that driver, you can always uninstall it in the deploy image if you believe it's causing an issue, or use hyperv and not have this problem.