simulacra75

Lenovo Thinkpad 10 OSD

Hi there

Hoping someone can provide assistance. I cannot seem to to image a Lenovo Thinkpad 10 device with Windows 8.1. I have used the Task Sequence before so i do know it works (i successfully imaged a Dell Venue Pro with this TS). The Lenovo Thinkpad 10 is a confirmed 64-bit device and the Task Sequence starts up okay, the problem is when it gets to the "volume" screen in UDI, it states that there are no supported NTFS volumes found.

If i launch a command line at this point i can see that the disk, partition and volume are there (using DISKPART). Driving me nuts as to why the UDI doesn't seem to see it. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Many Thanks

I apologize in advance for bumping this thread but i wanted to give some more information that may clarify/help.

I first read http://www.niallbrady.com/2013/10/09/how-can-i-manually-add-winpe-5-boot-images-to-system-center-2012-configuration-manager-sp1-cu3/

The process went just fine, Win PE 5.0 x64 was imported into my CM12 environment (SP1 CU5) successfully. I then just changed the properties of my QA Task Sequence to use the imported Win PE 5.0 x64 image. If i boot my Lenovo Thinkpad 10 from PXE or USB and attempt to apply this QA Task Sequence i get to the "Volume" page of OSD but the Volume window is blank and a message about "No supported NTFS volumes found". Launching a command window and DISKPART shows that the disk is listed so it's not some kind of mass storage driver problem.

If i change my QA Task Sequence to use the "standard" CM12 x64 boot image (6.2.9200.16384) the "Volume" page picks up/sees the disk volume without a problem but since i'm deploying Windows 8.1 i cannot use this boot image, as per Niall's advice above.

Going bald from the amount of hair i've pulled out! Any chance of helping out this Sligo guy?

hi sligo guy ! i lived there for many years, next time i'm back we should say hello,

so you are trying to image the lenovo thinkpad 10 in UEFI mode or LEGACY ?

Going along with anyweb : I assume you're trying to stage it in UEFI mode?

To cancel out this uncertainty, just create 2 "partition disk" steps (as per the default steps when going through the OSD wizard eg) in your sequence :

1. partition disk BIOS - disk type MBR and with 2 partitions (system reserved + windows primary / both NTFS), the _SMSTSBootUEFI variable doesn't equals true

2. partition disk UEFI - disk type GPT and with 4 partitions (Windows recovery + "EFI" (FAT32 500Mb) + "MSR" (128Mb) + windows primary), the _SMSTSBootUEFI equals true

If this is "bad" advice, my apologies and feel to correct me :-) We have the same machines over here (in a CU3 env though) and well, this is interesting!

ok if uefi is disabled then it's in legacy mode,

if its in legacy mode but the disc is in gpt mode then you have to diskpart it manually to the correct mode

diskpart

sel disk 0
clean
cre par pri
format fs=ntfs quick
assign
exit

do the above in winpe before starting any task sequence, then try again does it work ?

ok if uefi is disabled then it's in legacy mode,

if its in legacy mode but the disc is in gpt mode then you have to diskpart it manually to the correct mode

diskpart

sel disk 0
clean
cre par pri
format fs=ntfs quick
assign
exit

do the above in winpe before starting any task sequence, then try again does it work ?

Okay. Tried this and it's still the same, "No supported NTFS volumes found". I'd be more than happy to provide any other information that you might find useful and thank you for your time, i do appreciate it.

according to your log file

UEFI: true <-

so it's in UEFI mode, which means the disk partitioning above won't work, you need GPT partitioning instead.

try my script below to preprare the computer for gpt partitionin it requires Microsoft.BDD.Utility.dll from the mdt toolkit scripts folder

test this on a vm before running ! dont run it on your computer !

makeGPT.zip