anyweb

Windows 7 and Windows 8 users are encouraged to upgrade to Windows 10 via a popup

A new icon will appear in your system tray as shown here,

get windows 10.png

clicking on it will display the upgrade to Windows 10 message

The popup is appearing on some Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 desktops from today onwards and it's shown below.

CGY7O74UAAAyFx3.jpg large.jpg

clicking on Reserve your free upgrade set's the ability to get the download and you can also enter your email address to get an email confirmation

get your upgrade.png

or click on the hamburger icon for more info

hamburger.png

or to check if your computer is suitable for the upgrade

windows 10 will work on this pc.png

Why am I seeing the popup ?

The popup is due to the following update https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583.

How can I remove the popup ?

You can uninstall the update if you want to remove the popup. As Windows 10 is nearing it's end-goal, and bug squashing is continuing, I'd expect a lot of users will want to move to Windows 10 when it's finished.

What about Enterprise users ?

There will be no popup on machines running the Enterprise SKU, machines that are domain-joined, or machines that are MDM-managed.

Is there a registry key for disabling this ?

Yup, here it is, create the folllowing to prevent the Get Windows X ability

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx]"DisableGwx"=dword:00000001

Related reading

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.