moob

UEFI Client PXE Boot error fails with BSOD: Unmountable_Boot_Volume

Question

Hi experts

When I try to boot my uefi client from LAN it successfully downloads boot.wim from my WDS 2012, shows the Windows Logo for some seconds, but then it crashes, showing BSOD and the message "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME".

I'm using the same x64 boot.wim as with the BIOS clients, but with the mbr clients it works.

What is it, that makes my boot.wim unusable for uefi clients?

10 answers to this question

for UEFI boot to work, you need the architecture of the boot wim to match the architecture of the UEFI device, does it ?

also, what about storage drivers for your hardware, have you added any to your boot image ?

for UEFI boot to work, you need the architecture of the boot wim to match the architecture of the UEFI device, does it ?

also, what about storage drivers for your hardware, have you added any to your boot image ?

boot.wim contains Win PE and Windows Setup, both x64

I have not added any drivers since the boot.wim works as soon as I switch back to legacy mode.

ok is the disc formatted as GPT or not, when you change hardware to UEFI the disc must be in the right format,

can you video the booting process so i can see the errors as they occur ?

ok is the disc formatted as GPT or not, when you change hardware to UEFI the disc must be in the right format,

can you video the booting process so i can see the errors as they occur ?

ok, I'll do the vid.

I thougt the formatting would be done during Unattended Setup by the component Disk Configuration in WindowsPE???

MDT is easy, you should get into it sooner rather than later, plenty of videos and guides out there to help you along, if you run my powershell script you'll have a working server up and running in minutes.

as regards the video, clearly it's bluescreening but i'm not sure if that's the OS on the computer or otherwise, didn't see how you booted it to the boot image.... (network, usb, whatever)

It is a network boot and the bluescreen appers right after successful download of boot wim, video starts right after this

ok, I'll look into mdt. but my guess is that also with mdt my uefi client would need to be able to boot from LAN...