Kops

Migrate ConfiMgr 2012 R2 to new Server

Thanks for all the thoughts on this! I had another idea after doing some more reading online, where one person had success in bringing up a new server and adding it to the existing site hierarchy, then slowly migrating each of the components (SUP, DP, etc) over to the new server. It seems like this method might allow for a more seamless transition rather than an all-in-one type deal. I may try to take this approach, since I've read some people suggesting not to upgrade SQL or the OS when doing a Site Database Recovery to a new server and I'd like to move to Win2012R2 and SQL2012

Thanks for all the thoughts on this! I had another idea after doing some more reading online, where one person had success in bringing up a new server and adding it to the existing site hierarchy, then slowly migrating each of the components (SUP, DP, etc) over to the new server. It seems like this method might allow for a more seamless transition rather than an all-in-one type deal. I may try to take this approach, since I've read some people suggesting not to upgrade SQL or the OS when doing a Site Database Recovery to a new server and I'd like to move to Win2012R2 and SQL2012

ok, I will bite, How exactly can you transition CM12 itself from one server to another?

Yes, you should never upgrade either Windows or SQL when do a restore. Either do it before or after the restore.

Hey Garth,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my thought on this was to bring up another site system server SCCMP2, install Config Mgr on it, and add it to the existing site hierarchy. I would then give SCCMP2 the SUP role for example, and remove SUP from the original SCCMP1 server. I would continue that until all roles had been moved off of SCCMP1 and onto SCCMP2, and I can retire SCCMP1. Does that make sense?

We want to move to Win2012/SQL2012, but the process for backing up/restoring the CM database with these upgrades wasn't very clear to me. If I could configure a new server with Win2012/SQL2012 (similar drive partitions, etc) and restore the configmgr database onto that I would, but from what it sounds like I wouldn't be able to do that as a part of the restore.

I appreciate you taking the time to read over my thread and lend a hand :)

So this would mean that you would:

1. Need to create a CAS (bad idea, you could never get rid of it)
  2. You would need to use a new site code (but client would NOT automatically re-assign themselves, so this would give you nothing)

Hopefully these two blog posts will shed some light on your upgrade options.

http://www.enhansoft.com/blog/upgrading-a-configuration-manager-2012-database-from-sql-2008-to-sql-2012

http://www.enhansoft.com/blog/upgrading-sccm-2012-r2s-site-server-operating-system

Hi again Nickolaj, thanks for having a look at my other threads on here :).

Can you clarify what you mean by side-by-side migration? Is this what I was talking about in posts 12 and 14? I am open to any ideas really, just trying to get a good understanding of how to do these tasks before jumping in and there seems to be some mixed recommendations out there.

Garth I will have a read through those links now!

A side-by-side migration is really what you do when you migrate from ConfigMgr 2007 to ConfigMgr 2012. You setup and configure a new environment and connect from the new environment to the old. When the source hierarchy configuration is working, you're able to migrate almost all of your objects and configuration from the old environment.

I've reviewed all these options and I think I've settled on a plan to try the site backup/restore, as long as I can move to Win2012/SQL2012 as an end result. Can anyone point out any flaws in my final plan?

- Configure new server with Win2012R2/SQL2012 using same disk/partition layout as old server (new server has more disk/storage, but will still be using C:\ and E:\ as its paths)

- Copy all source files from old server to new server

- Perform site backup on current server

- Shutdown current server

- Change new server's hostname to match hostname of old server which was just shutdown, refresh AD object (necessary? or can I use a different hostname knowing I'd have to adjust my 'source file' paths?)

- Perform site restore on new server

Garth, in reading the article you posted you reference 'Upgrade to SQL2012' before backing up and building a new server, is that necessary if I'm doing a site restore/backup? I've never done an 'upgrade' to a SQL installation before. If you can't tell I'm fairly new to the Systems Administration world and you guys have been an incredible help!

Nickolaj, I have considered a side-by-side migration but there seems to be less information online around doing so - do you know of any resources? You mention that I would be able to migrate "almost all" of my objects from the old environment, are there any limitations to this method?