tps10

Can't add boot image (2012 R2 SP1 with ADK10)

So I have been beating my head against the wall here trying to figure out how to get this to work so we can image Surface Pros with Windows 10. I am able to image them using SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 but they don't get any of the drivers. Well doing some research it appears they need the updated version of DISM (which you get with the newer Windows 10ADK)

Test environment

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard

ConfigMgr 2012 R2 SP1 CU1

Windows ADK 10 (initially it was ADK 8.1)

Surface Pro 3

Once I realized I can't install drivers using the version of WinPE with ADK 8.1, I followed the below instructions to upgrade to ADK 10.

Upgrade to ADK10

Ok, so the upgrade went fine but then whenever I try and add new boot images I get the following error: "The specified file cannot be imported. Make sure the file is not read only and you have read and write access to it."

post-31230-0-44442600-1441902844.png

I looked at the SMSPROV log file and get the following error every time I try and create a boot image.

post-31230-0-81331600-1441903400.png

I think I have narrowed it down to permissions in C:\Windows\Temp on the server (which seems to be where it stages all it's boot image files). When you add a boot image, it creates a folder (in my case BootImages) in the Temp folder. Well shortly after it errors out and when I go look in the temp folder sure enough it created the BootImages folder, but when I try and open it I get an error saying I don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click here to permanently get access. Well I can do that, and even give it all the permissions I want and then go in and out of that folder all day long. The secound I go back and try and add a boot image however, the permissions reset and I am denied access to that folder.

Really want to get this working the way it should and not deal with putting band-aids on existing boot images because you lose the ability to update it through the console.

Im wondering if I were to uninstall SCCM 2012 entirely and reinstall if that would fix it but this is a test environment. No way I am going to do that on our production environment. Did I need to install ADK10 before installing R2 SP1? That doesn't seem like it makes any sense as it needs 8.1 to install and then after that you uninstall 8.1 and install 10.

I believe I had this exact same issue when I did the upgrade.

By chance, did you reboot the server after you installed the ADK? I think that was my issue and after reboot, everything was fine.

I did. I had hoped it would be that easy. I uninstalled 8.1 > reboot > Install 10 > reboot > Nothing....

I can try that. I did see that guide. My question is can you still manage these images in the console? Meaning adding drivers and such? I really don't want to have to use DISM for everything when it should work like it is supposed to.