trumby

SCCM 2012 client picking SCCM 2007 management point

I have just started migrating from SCCM 2007 to SCCM 2012 and have deployed about 30 clients for a pilot.

After troubleshooting why some machines are not installing patches I noticed they are choosing the old SCCM 2007 management point.

Can someone explain why this is and how I can fix it?

are you specifying the management point and/or site code for the 2012 environment in the install parameters when you deploy the client?

Have you applied AD Schema extensions for one, or both, of your SCCM environments?

AD has already been extended.

I do not currently specify the management point as a parameter. I guessing I need to?

You definitely need to specify the site code if you're not already, management point could be useful as well.

If you're AD schema extensions contain entries for both SCCM 2007 and 2012 and you're installing the client without specifying the site or management point, I think this could explain what you're seeing.

You definitely need to specify the site code if you're not already, management point could be useful as well.

If you're AD schema extensions contain entries for both SCCM 2007 and 2012 and you're installing the client without specifying the site or management point, I think this could explain what you're seeing.

I am specifying site code but not MP.

Do I need to do anything with the clients I have already rolled out? What happens if I add another MP?

1. Do you have overlapping boundaries, if so this is a big no-no for site assignment.
  2. Exactly what is your command line for deploying the CM12 client in CM07? if you are not telling it what site to get assigned to they will use AD to figure this out and therefore #1 is likely the issue.
  3. If there are not boundaries in CM12, then understand the deployments MUST be setup correctly for them to work.

1. Do you have overlapping boundaries, if so this is a big no-no for site assignment.
  2. Exactly what is your command line for deploying the CM12 client in CM07? if you are not telling it what site to get assigned to they will use AD to figure this out and therefore #1 is likely the issue.
  3. If there are not boundaries in CM12, then understand the deployments MUST be setup correctly for them to work.

This is what I was using: ccmsetup.exe SMSSITECODE=xyz FSP=servername

This is what I have just changed it to: ccmsetup.exe MP=servername SMSSITECODE=xyz FSP=servername

I don't have an overlapping boundary but the same ad site is configured in 2007 and 2012.