ZeZe

Virtualization?! SSD?! Let me know your experience!

Hi all

I need to buy a new computer... nothing special, BUT... My goal here is to run System Center tools on virtual machines - for demonstration to customers and testing/developing skills.

Therefore I was wondering if someone has that experience, running virtual machines on your laptops with SSD disks and if YES, is it external or internal disk?

Your inputs will be very important, since the goal here is to understand the hardware performance with real experience.

Let me know your experience and how many VMs you can run at once without compromise performance of the host.

Thank you all in advanced!

You need lots of RAM and SSD are really nice to for this type of thing.

But honestly why not use VPN or Direct access to access a real lab?

Good point! Sometimes it's not possible to have lab environments... Don't ask why... sometimes ain't that simple! ;) I'm looking for Macbook Pro!

i'd get a powerful laptop instead with several SSD's attached, much cheaper and more effective

my home lab is running 24/7 and is quite simply a Dell laptop with a modular bay containing a 500GB SSD and an external 1TB SSD attached in addition to another 500GB SSD attached.

i'd get a powerful laptop instead with several SSD's attached, much cheaper and more effective

my home lab is running 24/7 and is quite simply a Dell laptop with a modular bay containing a 500GB SSD and an external 1TB SSD attached in addition to another 500GB SSD attached.

How many VMs can you run? Because I'm a photographer, I'm going for the apple macbook. I read that is recommended to use external ssd to run vm's, due to the fact they write-read a lot of information on the disks and low the disk life-cycle.

How many VMs can you run? Because I'm a photographer, I'm going for the apple macbook. I read that is recommended to use external ssd to run vm's, due to the fact they write-read a lot of information on the disks and low the disk life-cycle.

And also, Quad-core or Duo-Core laptop?

The answer is always going to be it depends.. for a CM Lab you will need.

1 VM for your DC

1 VM for your CM12 server

1 VM for your test client

This means, you really need ~13 GB of RAM just for your VMs. if you can give 1 core to each VM that should be enough.

As with any lab the bigger the better.

• Like 1