jeaostro

How to use software update point, during OS deployment

Question

Hello

In the OS deployment task you can enable the installation of Windows updates(mandatory or all).

But what packages does this installation use? The ones under Software Updates -> Deployment Packages ->"All windows XP updates"

Thanks for the response :)

Best regards

Jean André

when deploying updates within a OSD I create a Deployment Management task for just that purpose, with for example Windows XP updates, I also name the deployment management task to be descriptive of what it's doing

I then target that deployment management task to a collection used for deployments

look at this screenshot for ideas

post-1-1256498213475.jpg

in addition to this I advertise another Deployment Management Task to the Unknown Computers collection, this way if my target pc is unknown at any point during the image installation process it'll be taken care of when the Install Software Updates task is in progress

so all in all, that is two Deployment Management Tasks

Hello

Did as you showed me above, and added it to the OS deployment task. (Install all updates).

But i get the following error 3 minutes after the "Install updates task" has started:

The task sequence execution engine failed executing the action (Install Windows XP All Updates) in the group (Install Software) with the error code 2147500037 Action output: 0a3-e713-432e-96d5-08559c69491d failed with hr = 0x80040669 Update with CIID Site_F6CED26F-D6DA-4E0A-BF2F-4D108B551B04/SUM_38d40594-4a82-41ec-a26a-3297f3940276 failed with hr = 0x80040669 Update with CIID Site_F6CED26F-D6DA-4E0A-BF2F-4D108B551B04/SUM_d7089405-0438-4724-882f-6a67d15ba537 failed with hr = 0x80040669 Update with CIID Site_F6CED26F-D6DA-4E0A-BF2F-4D108B551B04/SUM_94b5c0c3-8cc0-4b16-a3b5-8f148507da6e failed with hr = 0x80040669 Update with CIID Site_F6CED26F-D6DA-4E0A-BF2F-4D108B551B04/SUM_20e6483f-eba9-40d1-89f4-1940f79cba3b failed with hr = 0x80040669 Received job completion notification from Updates Deployment Agent InstallUpdates(pInstallUpdate, tType, sJobID, ulCookie), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\installswupdate\main.cpp,279) Setting TSEnv variable SMSTSInstallUpdateJobGUID= Process(pInstallUpdate, tType), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\installswupdate\main.cpp,349) One or more updates failed to install, hr=0x80004005. The operating system reported error -2147467259: Unspecified error

Anybody know what the problem is? Do you need more information?

Should there be an advertisement towards the OS deployment collection? I just did what i see in the picture above.

If you really want to install al Windows XP updates, it will most likely fail.

You should try these updates one by one, and if an updates doesn't want to install you should consider installing it another way (if it's really necessary).

Do not try to install all updates in the task sequence, it's just not possible, there are always updates that are making problems.

The failed part doesn't bother me that much, the problem is that the "installing updates proces"s stops when it hits an "error", would like it to continue even if a couple of updates failed to install. Possible? :)

Its so easy to just apply the "all windows xp updates" to a deployment task, so that the client installs what it needs, less work for me you know, well if it just worked.... :o)

The failed part doesn't bother me that much, the problem is that the "installing updates proces"s stops when it hits an "error", would like it to continue even if a couple of updates failed to install. Possible? :)

Its so easy to just apply the "all windows xp updates" to a deployment task, so that the client installs what it needs, less work for me you know, well if it just worked.... :o)

Well try it with one (relatively new) update first, and see if it works :), if it doesn't, you probably have another problem.

Hello

It worked perfectly when i removed the .Net updates, are there also other updates that do not work during OS deployment?

What about Office updates, can i push all the Office 2007 Updates to computers during OS deployment, or are there also updates here that do not support installation during OS deployment?

Thanks for the answers :)

Also another question that is a litle of topic here :)

If i create a package called All windows XP updates, then a Management task called All WIndows XP updates.

Can i download new updates to the All Windows XP updates packages, and these will be added to the All Windows XP Updates Management task, so it gets pushed to the clients, without needing to create a new management task.

Or do i need to create a new Management task for each time i will deploy new updates?