lee_SCCM

Upgrade XP to Windows 7

Question

Hi all

I am currently beginning to look at upgrading XP to Windows 7 in an enterprise environment.

I have upgraded to SP2 and have successfully got my own image, answer file all done and can deploy no trouble.

I am now looking into USMT and am looking for the best method in which to proceed.

I am looking to take the settings/files etc from the machine, back them up somewhere and then install 7 and transfer data all back down again.

I know about Hardlink but I would much prefer to start a clean slate with the machine on Windows 7 and make it as independant as possible without user interaction.

Apprecaite any advice

Thanks

Lee

4 answers to this question

When you don't want to use USMT with Hardlinks, then you should use USMT in combination with a State Migration Point. By doing this you will save the user data on the server. Just keep in mind that it can really slow down your migration proces.

See this link for how to configure a SMP: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb693655.aspx

When you don't want to use USMT with Hardlinks, then you should use USMT in combination with a State Migration Point. By doing this you will save the user data on the server. Just keep in mind that it can really slow down your migration proces.

See this link for how to configure a SMP: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb693655.aspx

Thank-you for your response.

Do you have any sites that describe the process, I have tried it a couple of times but it keeps failing all the time with the capture settings.

Regards

Lee Martin

post the errors here and we will try to help

the testing USMT section of this post will help..

Thanks for the reply.

Ok I have made some progress. :)

I have created a state migration point.

Constructed a task sequence that collects the USMT while in XP. this refers to an x86 package

it seems to collect the data ok

it then installs windows 7.

then it runs through requestigin state store, but seems to the fail on restore user settings.

am not sure why. I have made this USMT a x64 as its now in windows 7. is that correct?

Thanks