conorofarrell

Restore ConfigMgr with Intune Hybrid

Question

Hello

Does anyone have any experience with restoring ConfigMgr with Intune Hybrid? I would like to know if I need to reinstall the Intune connector and re-enrol all my devices.

I've had a call with MS about it and they tell me that it has never been tested, and is not supported as result. It seems crazy to me that this scenario has never come up before

Thanks

Con

3 answers to this question

Hi I asked around in a private mailing and it is supported to Restore CM with Intune. Here are the two notes that I got on the subject.

Recreate the Microsoft Intune Subscription

If you recover a Configuration Manager site server after the site server computer is re-imaged, the Microsoft Intune subscription is not restored if it was previously installed. You must recreate the subscription after you recover the site. For more information, see Configuring the Microsoft Intune Subscription.

Funny you should mention this as I had a discussion with one of our PFEs about this the other day. As far as I know it’s supported but it does have some known issues. The restore process doesn’t restore the certificates needed by Intune so you will need to reinstall the Intune Connector role. I don’t remember if it’s also necessary to remove/re-add the subscription in the console.

So.....

Thanks Garth

This more or less confirms what MS told me, including the fact that the certificates and registry keys relevant to Intune are not backed up.

My big concern here is, if I have to do this, what happens all my enrolled devices. Do they all need to be re-enrolled? MS seems to think so, which leaves a big gap to bring in 1000+ devices.

Thanks again for the info

Con

IDK, if I even have time I will try to restore one of my labs but I wouldn't hold my breathe that will happen anytime soon..

Honestly, if might make more sense for you to create a small lab with just 1-2 mobile devices (you can use VMs for this, if you like) and test it yourself.