sliceofdanny

High DPI MDT HTA problems

Question

The text in the final summary screen in the OS appears jumbled on High DPI systems due to Win10 auto-scaling to > 100%.

Down-scaling isn't an option because the text would look too small on high res systems.

There was a myITForum post about this a few weeks ago:

https://www.mail-archive.com/mdtosd@lists.myitforum.com/msg02617.html

Are there any Wizard.CSS mod examples available? It seems I'd need one file per system (depending on DPI severity), is there no dynamic way to do this?

PS: this is related to the issue in WinPE where High DPI systems in UEFI use full resolution with scaling, and no option to change other than loading graphics drivers, which didn't work for me on HP and Surface 4.

post-22125-0-25796100-1470248068.png

9 answers to this question

currently there's no dynamic way of doing it for MDT, but if you could get one wizard.css configured to your liking then the rest should be easy enough to solve, have you tried experimenting with the css file at all ?

Not yet, I took a look and I see everything laid out.
I had a similar problem writing custom LTI using dynamically sized forms via AutoIT, and figured out that

Within WinPE:

• Scale up everything except the fonts, because UEFI will automatically do that for some reason.

Within the OS:

• Scale up everything including fonts

My thought is if we already know the ratio of the scaling for some systems (via autoit include script), I can write custom css files with the necessary font sizes adjusted. It would likely fix the issue in WinPE as well as the header in the default screens are out of proportion.

If all that works, it can be included as a userexit script before anything is processed.

*crosses fingers*

Somewhat. This problem shows up in the OS as well. The fix you posted is adding video drivers while in PE.

I had originally tried that for when the summary screen shows an error in WinPE but the additional drivers didn't make a difference with an HP Elite x2 and a Surface Pro 4. WPEInit still ignored the custom resolution on both models.

I found the setting for the summary screen under this file: \Scripts\Summary_Definition_ENU.xml
The problem is partially these two lines:

<CustomStatement><![CDATA[ window.resizeTo 700,500 ]]> </CustomStatement>
<CustomStatement><![CDATA[ window.moveTo Window.screen.width/2 - 700/2, Window.screen.height/2 - 500/2 ]]> </CustomStatement>

Adding code to replace those two lines during deployment to get the properly scaled value (if DPI Ratio = 2, then the first line should be 1400,1000, etc) make it appear much better, however the "Finish" button is still getting cut off. I'm having trouble understanding what file is causing that. The Wizard.css seems to set the fonts and colors, but I can't yet tell how the button margins are being set.

Here's a sample of the default hard coded size increased 2x (Surface DPI ratio is 2.04) on a Surface Pro 4:

It will look like this within WinPE and the OS:

Notice "Failure" (handled by wizard.css) and the Finish button on the bottom right are cut off. This happens on non-edited scripts as well due to high DPI

post-22125-0-03137700-1470316945.png

The text in the final summary screen in the OS appears jumbled on High DPI systems due to Win10 auto-scaling to > 100%.

Down-scaling isn't an option because the text would look too small on high res systems.

There was a myITForum post about this a few weeks ago:

https://www.mail-archive.com/mdtosd@lists.myitforum.com/msg02617.html

Are there any Wizard.CSS mod examples available? It seems I'd need one file per system (depending on DPI severity), is there no dynamic way to do this?

PS: this is related to the issue in WinPE where High DPI systems in UEFI use full resolution with scaling, and no option to change other than loading graphics drivers, which didn't work for me on HP and Surface 4.

Have you tried modifying the Wizard.css? We had the same problem booting models into UEFI that had screens supporting very high resolution. Evidently, WinPE 10 adjusts the DPI based on detection as you have mentioned. It looks like we were able to fix this by converting "font-size" "pt" values in the "Wizard.css" file to "px" values using a conversion chart such as this:

http://websemantics.co.uk/resources/font_size_conversion_chart/

So, for example:

----------------------------------------------

{

font-family: Segoe UI, MS Sans Serif, Sans-Serif;

color: black;

font-size: 10pt;

font-weight: normal;

}

Should be updated to:

{

font-family: Segoe UI, MS Sans Serif, Sans-Serif;

color: black;

font-size: 13px;

font-weight: normal;

}

There are only a few "font-size" values to update in the "Wizard.css" file. Some of the CSS is actually commented out at the top too. We've tested this using WinPE 10 in Legacy and UEFI and the wizard looks correct in both.

Give it a try...