josephwagner

Windows 10 1511 to 1607 Upgrade during OSD

Is there a way I can upgrade our current images during the OSD process. Our wim files were built on Windows 10 1511 and we are currently in the process of upgrading our current workstations from 1511 to 1607 using the method outlined here: https://osddeployment.dk/2016/08/05/how-to-upgrade-windows-10-1607-with-sccm-1606-inplace-task-sequence/

We would like to update our images as well so new workstation deployments are receiving the update. We are unable to update our wim files at this time.

I tried adding the steps in at the end of the task and didn't have any luck when I tested this. (See attached image)

Thank you.

post-33719-0-98546500-1482867918.png

are you referring to updating the WIM files using offline servicing ? that process is covered in step 4 in the first guide linked below:

if you have any issues let me know

No, I would love to use offline servicing, but unfortunately that isn't an option.

Right now we are using SCCM to deploy our images to new workstations or when we reimage a workstation via PXE. Those images were captured as 1511. I would like to add steps into the task sequence so that while the system is being imaged it is getting upgraded to 1607 at the same time. So for example, it will apply the 1511 wim file and then apply the 1607 upgrade as well as the latest CU.

it doesn't work that way, you can only upgrade to a newer version of Windows 10 using the upgrade task sequence, or using a frontend HTA to 'refresh' while in WinPE, but that would mean having to define your own USMT ruleset,

i'd suggest if you want to upgrade, then do it in Windows or instead of applying the 1511 wim why not simply apply the 1607 wim ?