db9429

Which do I use?!

Question

Hi everyone - Happy New Year! :lol:

have just stumbled across this site, and it looks brilliant! I don't know how I haven't found it already.

Anyway, I'm due to do a deployment soon of SBS2008, with 2 branch offices both running 2008 Std as DCs.

As it's only a small project, the servers will be migrated/redeployed manually, but I would like to automate the deployment of the desktops is poss.

Obviously with all the different options (and acronyms) flying around I'm a little confused and would like someone's input as to what the difference is between the options and what may possibly be my best bet for this particular install. Eg MDT, BDD, WDS etc!

There are only about 10 workstations at each of the 2 branch sites. I plan on enabling wake on LAN before the deployment on all PCs, and a manual backup of all data on the local drives, so they can all be redeployed in one hit. All PCs are the same make and model.

Thanks in advance!

1 answer to this question

cost wise, mdt and wds are your best bet, but if money is no object, then try SCCM wich can utilise wds, mdt and a whole lot more,

however back to deploying, with wds you can deploy the os's or capture them but don't expect any thing fancy, with MDT you can deploy the images with custom applications and settings and many many options, and with SCCM you can do it all and then some, including managing everything after deployment (think about Seucify patches...)

hth

cheers

niall