ingram59

Troublesome IE Checkbox is greyed out

Question

Please read the full posting before answering.

I've searched extensively for a GPO fix to my issue but I can't find one.  

I've got a lot of users that work wit IE.  Under Internet Options / Programs / Default Web Browser there are two options, "Tell me if Internet Explorer is not the default web browser" and "Make default". Both are grayed out on some machines and of course, cannot be modified. On other machines the "Tell me...." option is active and can be checked and the "Make Default" is grayed out. Machines with both conditions have the SAME group policies applied to them.  

I have a PS script on my DC allowing me to search GPO's for specific content.  However I don't know what to search for in order to find the GPO that has these settings in them.  Google searches have proved fruitless in finding the GPO options that need to be changed.

I'm less concerned about the "Make Default" than I am about the "Tell me...." option.

Where are these settings located and what are they titled?  If they are not specific settings, what registry changes can I push that allows me to activate the "tell me..." option in IE?  Also, why, if the same policies are being applied (meaning they are not being blocked by security filtering), are the settings on these machines different.

This is extremely frustrating and I'm really looking for a solution to this.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet