Joe13

[H] SCCM and OS Deployment

@LeeF I did not change anything in the TS, what difference will this make?

Could we discuss point 5 in OP. Do I deploy this to the Unknown collection in SCCM, will any new PC / NB be able to use this PXE? I would like to test the UEFI, It seems that ours will only deploy BIOS.

I found an article about the boot file "wdsmgfw.efi" being missing on the \\WDSServer\REMINST\Boot\x64 (See screenshot)

I placed it there for now and will test a newer PC with the DHCP scope options (See screenshot)

{8FE40540-FAD1-42A4-9A4D-CA57FB29FEF1}.png.jpg

{8472E279-AF3D-454A-970D-058817860D2C}.png.jpg

Success - Boot from PXE and UEFI.

This post forms part of option 3 and 6 of my OP.

How can I make this TS lightweight, what steps can be disabled from screenshots attached?

Do I use DISM to capture a custom image with drivers and software on it or how can I do this? Is it better to include the drivers with DISM or with this TS?

Would it be possible to customize start menu tiles and shortcuts to my preference?

Annotation.png

Annotation1.png

Annotation3.png

how can I make this TS lightweight, what steps can be disabled from screenshots attached?

you could just create a new task sequence from scratch (non MDT integrated) and start learning what each step does

Do I use DISM to capture a custom image with drivers and software on it or how can I do this? 

I don't capture images today any more, and instead just deploy the built in install.wim (thin image) and use the task sequence steps to customize it, however some people still like to capture thick images, and for that they tend to use MDT, or even SCCM using build and capture.

Is it better to include the drivers with DISM or with this TS? 

never include drivers in a captured image, always inject drivers using steps in the task sequence which are based on wmi queries by make/model, or use modern driver management

Would it be possible to customize start menu tiles and shortcuts to my preference? 

absolutely, i've a blog post here on that

Thanks Niall,

I'm using a standard TS as suggested. With the Windows 10 start layout mod, where would I apply it? In your guide you said it should be - "Scroll down to a section that occurs after Set Status 4" But this was with MDT and SCCM TS.

Edit: I added a new section below setup operating system and linked the package from there. Will test and report back.

The TS is stuck at "just a moment", I've read that adding unattend.xml to skip OOBE will skip this step. I did this and now the TS fails at the end.

Untitled picture.png

See screenshot, when I add a step in TS to install software after the built in "Setup Windows and Configuration Manager" It proceeds past this step, by when it gets to install software on the bottom it shows Initializing SCCM client. Is this correct? I added restart commands between these steps.

My software installs, when Windows is done the are no apps installed? It just wouldn't install, If I deploy the apps to a collection and install it from Software Center it works. Just not in the TS.  Also added restart steps between app installs.

20190308_123336.jpg

add a continue on error on your application install steps, then once done, attach the smsts*.log files here so we can troubleshoot.

I found the following in the log file:

Install application action failed: 'AppName'. Error Code 0x87d00269

It seems like it cannot contact the MP - I'm not joining the domain so it seems that it cannot resolve the MP Name. I added the following in my Cfgmgr step SMSMP=ServerFQDN.

Your thoughts on this?

Untitled picture.png

Running the TS again, will report back tomorrow.