seppi

Use MDT 2010 and WDS for Deployment of Win7

Question

Hi guys,

I'm about to use WDS.

I know I have to do a capture image but what is to correct way to do this?

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/261-how-can-i-capture-an-image-using-wds/

Because now there are new tools like MDT 2010 out there.

So I'm wondering what are the correct steps to get a unattended win7 setup setup for deployment with WDS for Server 2008R2?

(I want to set the pc name with the WDS approve and rename option, get win7 to decide which drivers it should install and do

an automatic domain join)

Thank you!

3 answers to this question

there are multiple ways of doing it, I cover WDS in server 2008 right here

you can use MDT 2010 in conjunction with WDS in server 2008 but you'll need to get familiar with Windows SIM to customise your unattend.xml files,

windows sim is covered here and setting up MDT is as easy as intsalling it and following the guides,

cheers

niall

Hi Niall,

let me get this clear. If you're using ONLY Deployment Services for Server 2008 R2 you can't get an unattended setup for Windows 7, correct?

If it's possible can you explain me the steps please, because all I read in the forum was how to get wds deployment working but with some

user interaction.

And by using ONLY WDT I can build an unattended setup but then I'm missing the new feature for driver packaging/provisioning in WDS.

Why isn't there one tool that covers everything :(

Thanks!

please get the terms right, it's MDT not WDT ;)

ok... to deploy or capture an os you will need Windows Deployment Services, this is a basic add on for Server 2003 sp2 and upwards and it replaced the aging Remote Installation Services ability of Windows Server 2000 and 2003.

With WDS you could deploy captured images with little or no user interaction, the images would be customised before being captured,

MDT 2010 is a whole different beast and it allows you (in conjunction with WDS) to deploy operating systems with applications, drivers, software updates and more with minimal or lots of user interaction depending on your needs. it is free. SCCM which does all of this and more can do ZTI (zero touch),

if you want to start simple, start with WDS, if you want to progress then use WDS with MDT 2010, if you want to really get with the program then look at SCCM 2007 sp2 in conjunction with MDT 2010 integration.

cheers

niall