suspected

Migrate the State of an User

Question

Hi guys i see here many of USMT Tutorials, but i dont need to migrate my OS to a higher version.

i configured now a Windows7 system for business uses, i need to use this BUILD as a master for other computers like a "basic installation with all drivers software etc which is alerady installed" so my questions is

how can i migrate this Windows 7 OS state of that computer, that i can use the .wim (with all installed things) for other computer that every PC has this state of OS ? can i just create a new task sequence with all "4" USMT options in it ? and capture the system to get the systems wim for install ?

i made a USMT package of c:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\USMT\X86 thats rigt aight ?

when i migrate the status of the system how i can i store the wim on the server ? or do i missapprehend something ? i tried it know with the first 2 steps request user state and capture user state, but he ran in an error... do i need the other 2 steps when i just want to store the user state (WIM) somewhere ? i want to use that as a basis and not directly migrate-..

Quiestion :)

Why capture a complete OS with all the drivers and progs?

You can create a WIM file with only the OS and put the rest in a task sequence.

That’s much easier,

If you have to change a program or driver, you can do it in the task sequence.

Otherwise you have to create a new complete OS and capture again.

cheers

Yes but i need to use this "basic capture" for 500+ clients. i cant do everything over task sequences, so i decide to create a basic OS state, with all things which our users need. so i captured the os, but i saw that not everything was captured, then i heard that with USTM you can migrate also settings and stuff. so i would like to do this

how said : i have a complete configured system, now i need to make a WIM of them, that i can build other computers with that WIM.. that all users get all basic stuff like programs, all kind of settings etc. u know... and i cant decide that, my boss said make a standard machine and this "standard machine" have to be as a kind basic on all clients, and the other stuff like 3th party apps and programs and other things they get normally over a TS how you said, but that basic i need on all computers.

can you help kinom ? how can i use that 4 USMT options, for capturing the system state and save it somewehere that i can use that WIM file

thanks a lot

yes i gone thru it but my english is not the best, i dont understand "everything"

should i start the ScanState u mean ? i dont understand it at all also which strategy to take :S

i just need to migrate the state how i said before, can you highlight that a bit for me mate ?

thanks a lot

Take a look at this post :)

Is this working?

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1543-how-can-i-capture-windows-7/

This is for capturing the os.

Cheers

hey kinom, yes the normal Capture OS is working... but he dont capture everything thats the problem, thatswhy i wanted use USMT to capture every little setting on that system u know :)

greeetz

Ok :D

Now another question :)

Did you some changes in the registry?

So yes, than it’s not going to work.

The USMT is for capturing the User state of a particular user and place it back for that user.

If another user logs in then there will be another profile created.

What I suggest is, if you made changes in the registry put them in the task sequence.

Give me some info on the little thing you have set on that OS.

Cheers

yes how kinom say, i miss registry entries, background logo, folders and files... settings like language, time and etc. (not at all) i've done it 3 weeks ago but i missed pretty much except the installed software like adobe stuff etc. the background worked after a while (dont know how/why) but my friend isnt here right know ask him tomorrow for other info he missed also many things on it

so how can i migrate a state of a machine to others if you say with USMT its the wrong one :S hmmm... with capture it also dont go bcs he dont capture everything..

hmm more info i just created a workstation which is in AD i changed some registry stuff (UAC OFF ETC. etc.) programs, folders/files, settings like background resolution, path's and stuff like that such like a normal user workstation

thanks guys