Nils

SCCM 2007 OSD always installs OS on partition D:

Question

Hi everyone,

First of all I would like to express my gratitude to Niall and the other SCCM enthousiasts for creating and updating this site. Your information has often helped me out and I am also advising my customers to take a look at your website whenever they run into issues.

Speaking of issues. I know the workaround but I would like to know if someone managed to solved the following: When using OSD and deploying just the standard Windows 7 install.wim file to a computer, why does it always install on D:\ even though I checked by pressing F8 and observing the whole TS process. I tried to force the TS to use the "Install OS on Disk0 Partition1 and even C:\ directly. At one of the latest TS steps it just switches or renames the partition from C: to D:. Is there a quick fix for this problem or is it something I just "have to live with" and make a capture of a Windows 7 machines and just deploy that WIM file.

Any light shedding onto this subject is appreciated.

Keep up the good work.

Nils

1 answer to this question

thanks for the kind words :)

the best advice is dont create an image from the install.wim file directly from the windows 7 dvd, but instead create a build and capture task sequence of Windows 7 which will result in a captured WIM file, it is THAT captured wim file that you use in a new task sequence which you can deploy to many hundreds or thousands of computers and you'll end up with Windows on C:

this is the reason why it happens directly from Microsoft

http://blogs.technet.com/inside_osd/archive/2007/08/08/why-does-vista-end-up-on-the-d-drive.aspx

cheers

niall