salle

Running litetouch iso from usb drive

Question

Has anyone tried to deploy Windows 7 from a MDT2010 share, but booting from an usb stick that has the litetouch files in an iso?

I've used WinSetupFromUSB to create that stick, and have used it successfully for imaging purposes with Ghost. With Litetouch ISO, WinPE boots up really nicely, but for some reason LiteTouch fails when it start the installation procedure itself (copying files..expanding files etc). It comes up with a strange error that doesn't really give any clue to me...Not at my work pc right now so can't paste it here until tomorrow.

First I thought that the reason was hard disk drivers or something, but then I noticed the Dell Latitude D800's I have for testing don't even have a SATA disk, only IDE. Also I remember once trying the deployment by booting from CD and that being successful. Virtual machines deploy without any problems, but then again they use cd-emulation with .ISO files.

I'd like to have this work so that I could have both Ghost and Litetouch on the same usb stick, because I need them both, and CD is so much slower with booting WinPE. Also I don't have access to a WDS server, so that is out of the question too.

Maybe it's a problem with grub4dos or whatever bootloader WinSetupFromUSB is using?

5 answers to this question

Just tested deployment with the ISO _extracted_ to USB stick. Installation went to "Expanding Windows files", so we'll see if it works now. Wonder what the problem with the ISO is though.

i've heard of people doing it via an iso in MDT 2008, but not mdt 2010, perhaps due to the new windows 7 based WinPE ?

i've heard of people doing it via an iso in MDT 2008, but not mdt 2010, perhaps due to the new windows 7 based WinPE ?

Is windows 7 PE really so much different to Vista's ?

Nope. Too bad I don't have any time to test it more. Since the extracted ISO boots and installs just fine, I can live with it. It would just be a nice extra to skip the step of extracting the ISO to usb stick everytime the boot stuff changes...Instead only overwriting the ISO on the stick.