generalopinion

Issue PXE Booting WinPE x64 with MDT2010 for a VMware VM

Question

Problem:

When attempting to PXE boot using a Windows PE x64 image, the actual .wim is downloaded from the PXE service point/distribution point as shown by the progress bar. After 100% completion the screen goes black, Windows PE is not loaded and the VM turns off.

Details:

I am using an MDT Task Sequence for deploying the Windows Server 2008 Operating System Install package. I simply copied it and changed the boot image on the Task Sequence instead of creating a new Task Sequence from scratch (not sure if this makes a difference or not). I was able to boot into it by using the Create a Task Sequence wizard (non MDT) but the sequence stalled before doing anything and rebooted.

The drivers for VMware have been imported into the boot image as well.

Environment:

SCCM 2007 SP2 R2 running on Windows Server 2003 SP2

Target VM: 2GB of RAM, 40GB harddrive

Any assistance would be great.

2 answers to this question

Thanks for your reply. I've been out of the country so I apologize for not replying to this sooner.

When attempting to use the x86 boot image we get the following error message as shown:

ac004b2b5db48419c6dec9e2021ff2c22g.jpg

Not sure how to "confirm" if the image is an SP2 image but as stated in my Environment notes in the original post, I am running SCCM 2007 SP2 R2.

Thanks again for your help.

P.S. It's not really a big deal if this doesn't work in a virtual environment as we use VM templates in VMware to deploy new virtual servers. But, I'd like to get PXE working in the virtual environment before I begin testing in production.