fj40ratt

Reference computer image capture

I'm trying to capture a Win 10 reference computer that has multiple partitions in preparation for BitLocker.  The machine is not domain joined.  Is there a proven way to do this?  My task sequence keeps failing when trying to capture the machine.  If I image the machine with a single partition image the capture works flawlessly.

Why oh why do this, please explain ? most people nowadays deploy a clean WIM and add apps/settings during the task sequence or use Windows Autopilot

Work is wanting to use a third party to start imaging new devices prior to delivery.  My MBAM setup in SCCM is working great and I don't want the new devices getting encrypted until they are on prem and I can place them in my BitLocker Policy collection.  I have a reference machine built with the proper partitions but the company only takes image files as a WIM.  The multiple partitions seem to be causing my grief.  If there is a better way to do this I'm all ears.  Thank you in advance for any advice.

ok, if you really want to use the capture method (and i recommend against it), then you can capture the wim of the OS partition only, and deploy that in your deploy operating system task sequence

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/capture-and-apply-windows-system-and-recovery-partitions

but really, don't do that, instead, use default Operating System wim files from microsoft (they are updated monthly now), and add the customizations in your task sequence instead.

Thanks for the reply Niall.  I totally understand not using the capture method but I don't know of another way get a single WIM file to the company that will be doing our imaging of new machines and still maintain the multiple partitions needed for BitLocker.  These machines need to be as close to end user ready when they arrive here.  The goal is to eliminate as much customization work as possible for our field techs.  It's unfortunate that SCCM lets you create the multiple partitions during the TS but it doesn't provide a way to then capture the machine exactly as it is once you have it customized just for situations like this unless I'm missing something.