Quinten

Software Center - 3rd Party Patching

We have enabled 3rd party patching and we've noticed that when we deploy Dell 3rd party updates they do deploy down to our systems (both Latitudes and Optiplex)    We setup our SUGS to run at night.  on any target system once the updates run you can view them in Software Center \ Updates.   They show as Installed.   Here is the problems.  The updates never clear out of Software Center \ Updates and each night they reinstalled.   I've sat there and watched at the Software Center \ Updates and each will change from Installed to Installing....   and then they show as Installed again.  

This cycle repeats.    And it only effects Dell.  Our Lenovo and HP updated all work fine.    Any hints or pointers would be great.  

In my WUAHandler.log I see the same updates installing each day for the past 4 days.   No errors, just the same updates each day are being installed and each says Reboot Required = Yes.  We reboot all of our systems each night so that should get flushed out.  

UpdateDeployments, UpdateHander have no errors.    what would case this behavior?  

Both, the Dell and the Lenovo Update Agents are prime examples of bad programming and usage of WMI.

#1 - they are hogging the client CPU for several hours during each scan

#2 - the automatic driver selection is awful. Instead of using the newest driver for the device, every matching driver will be installed.

#3 - they require huge amounts of disk space on the server side which triples with SCCM (download source, WSUS content, Package source)

#4 - you can't use the BIOS updates if your clients are Bitlocker enabled

Overall it was one of the worst experiences fo my past SCCM years. Cleaing up the WSUS after getting rid of 3rd party patching has been a pain too.