fj40ratt

Device won't join the domain during OSD TS

Good morning SCCM brains.  Here is one that has me about ready to trade mine in for a beer.  Last week our AD admin changed the password for the account that does our AD joins during task sequence image deployments.  I have entered the new password in the TS, verified it's access to the OU in AD successfully, and can use the new password to manually join a device to the domain without issue.  Unfortunately when the TS now runs the device fails to join the domain.  I've looked in the netsetup.log, setuperr.log and setupact.log to verify the correct account is present which it is but the error indicates it is still a bad username or password.  I had our AD admin change the password back to the original password in AD and imaging works perfectly with the device joining the domain as expected.  Is there somewhere else in SCCM I should be looking for that password to be changed?  Thanks in advance.

The username and password is defined in the Configure Network Step, where you should have defined the domain\username in the Specify the account that has permission to join the domain section, you can click on set and test the username and password in there, did you try that ?

have you double check that you don't have more than that step in the task sequence ? or that you are indeed editing the correct task sequence ?

Always appreciate your advice Niall.  I have.  I'm actually using it in the Apply Network Settings task.  I don't have a Join Domain section in the TS anywhere.  Another test I just ran is I added an additional character to the original password to create a new password of 9 characters.  Old password that worked prior was only 8 characters.  I then changed the pwd in the TS to the new 9 character pwd and it still works as intended.  When my AD admin changed the password earlier on the domain join account, he changed it to a 20 character password and that is the TS would fail to join the device to the domain.  Is there a password length restriction that anyone is aware of?

I have experienced this when the password used for the domain join had a special character that it did not like (I do not recall the offending character), but try configuring a basic password with no special characters, just to rule that out.

Thanks pzov, appreciate the input.  I've run up against that type of issue with other systems in the past as well.  I believe this is the first time I've attempted that complex of a password with SCCM.  You would like to believe that Microsoft would make sure their complexity requirements were standard across the company.  If Active Directory accepts that long of a password from a user, their own systems should allow it when they talk to each other. lol  I will test with a long password avoiding any special characters and update here with the results.