wudevr

How to Deal with Multiple Hard Drives in OSD?

I am deploying Windows 10 to HP Z840 and Z8 PC's using OSD in Config Manager 2010.
Some of the Z8's are brand new, but most of the systems are running Windows 7 and are managed by SCCM.
Some of them have single SATA or SSD drives. Some have multiple SATA or a mix of SATA and SSD drives.
In systems that have an SSD and a SATA drive, I want to ensure the OS gets deployed to the SSD.
In systems with multiple SATA drives, I want to ensure the OS gets deployed to the smaller drive and the larger one will be used for data storage. 
How best to accomplish this?

not great but you'll need to figure out what disk number each type of disk is normally reported as, if they are consistently the same across models then use that knowledge to modify the Format Partition steps to only target the disk you want (and not the other disk)

image.png

if they are not consistent then you'll need to build a powershell script or clever WMI checks to determine what type of disk it is and whether to format it or not

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, the config is not consistent on these systems.

For example, some will have have the SSD as drive 1 and a SATA drive 0. Some will have the inverse.

Is there a way that I can consistently make the smaller of the hard drives, the OS drive, in systems that have multiple drives?

In systems that have an SSD, the SSD will always be smaller than the SATA drive. In systems that have dual SATA drives, I will always want the smaller drive to be the OS Drive.

I just have no way of knowing if the smaller drive will be drive 0 or drive 1 on these systems.

well you could create a powershell script to check the size of both discs and find out which is smaller, should be easy to do, and based on that set an sccm variable which will govern whether the partition disk step runs on that disk or not

You could try this Powershell command:

Get-PhysicalDisk | Select FriendlyName,MediaType,DeviceID

The mediatype should report back with 'SSD' or HDD'. Maybe you can build in a condition in the step to only run if it is an SSD.

edit: in this blog somebody created a more extended script: https://www.vacuumbreather.com/index.php/blog/item/72-dynamically-select-ssd-drive-for-os-installation. It is made for MDT but it looks like it should also work for SCCM.