anyweb

USMT: User State Migration Tool

Question

Microsoft® Windows® User State Migration Tool (USMT) version 3.0.1 migrates user files and settings during deployments of Microsoft Windows XP and Windows Vista™. USMT captures files and settings from the source computer and then migrates them to a new Windows installation. If you are only upgrading your operating system, USMT is not needed.

This tool includes two command-line tools named ScanState and LoadState.

ScanState creates an intermediate store that contains the user files and settings from the source computer. (backup)

LoadState restores these files and settings to the destination computer. (restore)

USMT 3.0.1 also has three default migration rule (.xml) files named MigApp.xml, MigUser.xml, and MigSys.xml.

You can alter the default .xml files and you can also create customized .xml files. Depending on what you want to migrate, you can specify all or none of the default .xml files on the command line. The entire migration process is controlled by the .xml rules, which you can modify, and logic that is built into the tool. When using USMT for automated migration, in almost all cases, you should modify the migration .xml files for your unique situation.

USMT 3.0.1 contains the following updates to USMT 3.0:

1. You can now install this tool on computers that are running non-English versions of Windows Vista.

2. In USMT 3.0, some settings for local accounts were not being migrated. This has been fixed in USMT 3.0.1.

Where can I download it from ?

From here

In addition, you can use the download features elements in BDD 2007 (or MDT 2008) to download it, to do this, select the Information Center, then click on the Components Section. Highlight the USMT version (x86 or x64) that you want, and download it.

usmt.JPG

Where can I get a detailed User guide for USMT ?

From here

Where can I see a list of USMT Error codes ?

From the Deployment Guys

Where can I read the USMT Team Blog ?

From here

Can I install USMT on Windows Server 2008 ?

No, and for more details see here

post_1_1188391097.jpg

When should I use USMT?

USMT is best used in automated deployment scenarios where a user is being migrated from one install of Windows to another (on the same computer) or when a user is being migrated from one computer to another (two different computers). USMT 3.0.1 currently supports migrating to and from the following operating systems:

Windows 2000 to Windows XP, Windows Vista

Windows XP to Windows XP, Windows Vista

Windows Vista to Windows Vista

cheers

anyweb

2 answers to this question