danzi

Move Computer to OU in a multidomain environment

Question

Hi Gurus,

I have been using Onevinn's TSCommander by the brilliant Johann, but it fails in an environment where I have a forest with 2 subdomains. Got ~90 DCs, trust is full,  but since the ConfigMgr site server is in Domain A, when I image computers in Domain B, the MoveToOU server-side script won't find a distinguished name - I think the built-in underlying scripts were never meant to work in such a scenario. Onevinn's Event log says, trying to find DN for the computer... but fails, so no OU move, nor addToADGroup, nothing works...

Trying to run a custom script, but I have no other ideas than running (get-adforest).domains | % {get-adcomputer <computer> -server $_} to grab the device... probably it's something trivial though... 

2 answers to this question

I contacted Johan and here's his reply

Hmm, I have actually done this once.... He will have to run a ds-Query against Global Catalog, as opposed to Ldap..... Or pay me to give him a custom TSCommander, including him signing a paper that he's responsible for not having several computers with the same samAccountName in multiple Domains ;)

Haha, nice! :) Well site codes are used so computer names are 100% unique due to the conventions in place.

$tsenv = New-Object -COMObject Microsoft.SMS.TSEnvironment
$OU = $tsenv.Value('OSDDomainOUName')

$targetdomain = $tsenv.Value('OSDDomainName')
$imaged_device = $tsenv.Value('OSDcomputerName')
$ErrorActionPreference = 'SilentlyContinue'

function getcmp($computer){
    $CompResultList = @()
    $DomainList = @("domainA","domainB")
     foreach($Domain in $DomainList)
      {
        if (!(get-adcomputer -identity $computer -Server $Domain -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue))
        {continue}
        $CompResultList += get-adcomputer -identity $imaged_device -Server $Domain
    }

return $CompResultList
 }  
get-adcomputer $(getcmp -computer $imaged_device).name -server $targetdomain |  Move-ADObject -TargetPath $OU -server $targetdomain

is import module for AD missing?