ETx13

Deploying OneNote for Windows 10 (appx) as a package

My goal here is to be able to deploy this version of OneNote during imaging. We currently have it in Software Center as an available install but I've recently discovered that appx files are not supported during imaging.

So I had an idea to package the files and deploy it via Powershell. My script has a single line:

Add-AppxPackage -Path ".\Microsoft.Office.OneNote_16001.14326.21452.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe.AppxBundle" -DependencyPath ".\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.32530.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx"

In SCCM, my program has this line:

Powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -File install.ps1

When I test this in Software Center, it reports as installed but it doesn't actually install. If I launch that script from ccmcache through terminal, the app installs fine. Does anyone know of any reason as to why this won't work?

are you using new UWP apps or the old microsoft store for business apps?

if using the old store apps they are retired and will no longer work

"Microsoft Store for Business apps are no longer being enforced and will soon be deleted. Learn more."

I think the files are the same just delivered differently, and i'm not sure if this is your problem yet (or not)

when you run your powershell in SYSTEM context, what happens ?

i.e. use psexec.exe /i /s cmd.ex

then powershell

then run the script

does it work ?

Dang, no it doesn't. I saw a post somewhere that says Appx files cannot be installed as system and must be installed to users. I guess I can force install the Software Center version to the devices I need it for. Unless you can think of a different idea? Thanks for the help so far anyhow!

back to your problem, you are trying to install OneNote, why that specific version ? why not use the built in app from Office 365 ?

On 6/29/2023 at 8:58 AM, Mikel PAYELLE said:

Hi,

did you try to use Dism Command line?

Dism /Online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath /DependencyPackagePath

So that worked for the deployment of the package for Software Center (thanks for that!) but didn't work during the OSD. I checked smsts.log and it reported as the install being successful. I'm starting to think that this is just not possible to deploy during OSD.

On 6/29/2023 at 4:08 AM, anyweb said:

back to your problem, you are trying to install OneNote, why that specific version ? why not use the built in app from Office 365 ?

I believe it's because it has the builtin Classroom Notebooks feature that a lot of our teachers use.

One thing to check is the execution context when your SCCM runs the script. It might be running under a different user context or permissions setting compared to when you manually run it through Terminal. That could explain why it reports as installed but doesn't actually work.

As a workaround, have you considered breaking down the script steps or adding logging to pinpoint where it's getting stuck? It could help uncover if there's a specific step causing the hiccup.

Also, for backup notes during troubleshooting, I find using an online notepad really handy. It keeps everything organized across devices without relying on local files.

Edited by Glibnoxen