clush

Problems with Task Sequences - Configuration Manager 2309 - Windows 10

Hello,

Recently we have be having issues deploying task sequences on some dell models one being the precision 3660.  When deploying Windows 10 22H2 on the 3660 it boots and goes through some of the task sequence I assume and then it hangs on waiting with the circle going around.  This may happen for a day or two finally windows will be installed however it has not finished the task sequence as it has not joined the domain and installed any software in the steps of the task sequence. The local administrator account is enabled and i can logon and i check the device manager and all devices drivers there are no conflicts there.   I have tried injecting the network drivers in the boot image which is successful but i get the same outcome.  

If we plug an external usb ethernet adapter or use a dell docking station it appears that it will work however it hangs for sometime and will eventually finish the task sequence.  

So as a test i created a task sequence with Windows 11 23h2 grab the driver pack from dell created the driver and did not inject any drivers into the boot image.  I ran the task sequence and had no issues all of the software was loaded joined to domain and so forth.  I did use the internal ethernet card with no issues.  

I am at a loss here and been trying to find a fix for this for sometime now.  The current version of Configuration Manager is 2309 and the ADK and PE is 10.1.18362.1.  I am thinking of upgrading the ADK to the latest version of Windows 11 which we are currently not deploying at the moment only as a test case.  Would anyone have any suggestions as to if they would think this maybe the issue or should i be looking elsewhere. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you,

Craig

what does the smsts.log file reveal ? the fact that it's not domain joined when it's failing points to lack of network connectivity, you can review the netsetup.log in C:\Windows\Debug to find out why it's failing to join the domain,

start with those 2 issues first to figure out how to solve it

Thanks I will try that.  It was suggested that i create another boot image which i dont think that is the case as i have surpassed the winpe.  One question when you create a new boot image and do you tell it to use that boot image.  I cannot find it anywhere in configuration manager.  

Thanks

Craig

to change the boot image to a newly created one, first make sure that PXE boot is enabled on the boot image itself (if you are using Windows Deployment Services to serve boot images)

image.png

and 'command support' (f8)

image.png

and that it's distributed to your distribution points,

image.png

after that, edit your task sequence and change the boot image assigned to that task sequence to use the 'new' boot image

image.png

if you cannot find the boot image you manually created, make sure to first 'import' it by right clicking boot images, and choosing Add boot image

image.png

Thank you so much for this.  You have helped me so much.  One question is when you start pxe boot how does it know what boot image to use due to the fact you don't pick the task sequence until after you are booted into configuration manager?  If you can clarify that for me that would be much appreicated.  

It is my general thinking that you would use the proper boot image before you pick a task sequence as the computer model would need the correct network drivers to pxe boot.

Thank you,

Craig

Another question would i unchecked the deploy this boot image from a pxe enabled distribution point and enable command prompt testing on the older boot image that was used previously?

Thank you,

Craig

Is this common to have duplicate drivers in the boot image as seen in the picture.  Is it okay to have mulitple versions or should i just have the latest version as well there are multiple drivers with the same version.  Not sure if this can cause issues or not.  

Thanks

boot image duplicate drivers.png

4 hours ago, clush said:

Thank you so much for this.  You have helped me so much.  One question is when you start pxe boot how does it know what boot image to use due to the fact you don't pick the task sequence until after you are booted into configuration manager?  If you can clarify that for me that would be much appreicated.  

It is my general thinking that you would use the proper boot image before you pick a task sequence as the computer model would need the correct network drivers to pxe boot.

Thank you,

Craig

it will use LIFO method (LAST IN FIRST OUT), meaning, the last task sequence deployed to whatever collection your computer is in, that is the boot image it will pull down, if you select a different task sequence deployed to the same computer or collection, and that task sequence has a different boot image attached to it, then it will stage that new boot image once you select the task sequence

4 hours ago, clush said:

Another question would i unchecked the deploy this boot image from a pxe enabled distribution point and enable command prompt testing on the older boot image that was used previously?

Thank you,

Craig

no, that is not necessary, leave the old boot image until you are sure you no longer need it, then clean it up