Eaven HUANG

SCCM OSD inject drives practice for HP, DELL models?

Dear Experts,

I've set up SCCM OSD and successfully deployed the latest Windows 11 to ASUSD320 models, all is good. Now I need to deploy the same OS to the HP laptops but when I tried F12 to network boot, it flashed in less than 1 second and switched back to the boot order option wizard. Since it's working fine with ASUS models, I suspect it had something to do with the network drive not being detected or injected.

In MDT, we use the general driver packs for HP and Dell and it works fine for our models including HP430G7, G8, HP440G8, Lenovo L389/390, etc. but this seems challenging for SCCM.

Any idea? If we need to deploy the same driver package to SCCM TS, what are the correct steps to get this to work? Thank you very much.

take note of the mac address of your HP model, and check the SMSPXE.log on the distribution point, search for the mac address, if you don't see it you have other issues.

Back to your HP model, which one is it ?

3 hours ago, anyweb said:

take note of the mac address of your HP model, and check the SMSPXE.log on the distribution point, search for the mac address, if you don't see it you have other issues.

Back to your HP model, which one is it ?

I've tried to find it from SMSPXE.log but nothing was found there, no even one single record of log. I don't think it went to the PXE process at all. 

The odd thing I can't figure out is that, if I used the same network cable and connect the machine to our MDT (another subnet with DHCP options), it can be OSD'ed directly without any issues.

Since the PXE didn't seem to start at all with SCCM, I doubt that it was anything to do with boot.image?

there are many things to think about here, for example, how is your task sequence deployed ? is it deployed to All Unknown Computers ? and also to a collection containing these computers (if they are already known in SCCM) ?

On 2/26/2024 at 8:07 PM, anyweb said:

there are many things to think about here, for example, how is your task sequence deployed ? is it deployed to All Unknown Computers ? and also to a collection containing these computers (if they are already known in SCCM) ?

I deployed the TS to all unknown computers only, after I deleted the existing record from SCCM Device list on console. The only change I made in TS was to specify the xml file located in the same SCCM server, I used the default install.wim from in SCCM and it works fine with ASUSD320 but not HP or Lenovo laptop models we have:( I can try adding the network drives for a try later.

I'm trying to upload a short video I took on an HP 430G7 laptop, it showed "start over IPV4" then in a second it switched back to the key options, I kept pressing ENTER but it still went back. If I pressed F12 again, I couldn't see the black screen with "start over IPV4" anymore.

from what i can see here it's downloading the wrong type of boot image

have you deployed the X64 boot wim from your distribution point and made it PXE bootable ?

for context, here's a snapshot of what yours is downloading before it fails

image.png

versus the same moment from my working lab

image.png

On 3/1/2024 at 10:59 PM, anyweb said:

from what i can see here it's downloading the wrong type of boot image

have you deployed the X64 boot wim from your distribution point and made it PXE bootable ?

I used the default boot images in SCCM, I didn't add any boot images to WSD, and it worked with ASUSD320 desktops. I followed instructions from some posts and videos, I didn't see anyone added boot images to the WDS, do I need to do that?

I noticed that in your screenshot it was the wdsmgfi.efi NBP file, and the file size is totally different. Honestly I'm not 100% following your points but would you mind advising how can I proceed to fix this issue? by deploying x64 boot images what can I do and how to make it PXE bootable?

image.thumb.png.23412adee0ee2946e912f07ca8e36e8b.png

In Software Library expand Operating Systems, click on Boot Images, right click the x64 version and select Properties. Go into the Data Source tab and check off the box "Deploy this boot image from the PXE-enabled distribution point".

Edited by ETx13

On 3/5/2024 at 12:56 AM, ETx13 said:

image.thumb.png.23412adee0ee2946e912f07ca8e36e8b.png

In Software Library expand Operating Systems, click on Boot Images, right click the x64 version and select Properties. Go into the Data Source tab and check off the box "Deploy this boot image from the PXE-enabled distribution point".

Thanks a lot. Just curious, mine is grayed out for the architecture and I didn't select any language, does it make any difference, compared to yours?

x64.png