Robert Nilsson

USMT install, reinstall and replace scenrio in the same task sequence

Question

I was wondering if it's possible to merge all three installation scenarios into the same task sequence? Just to make it event more simple for our helpdesk staff. I know all the basic concepts regarding USMT and hard linking and I have made them work standalone but it would be very neat in my environment to accomplish this in the same task sequence.

Suggested task sequence layout would be:

Install Scenario:

•  
  • At top of the task sequence there should be a capture state group that does only run if task sequence variable _SMSTSInWinPE not equals true.
  • And after that the OS installation should proceed as normal but skip the Resore state at the end since there was no capture being made. (I'm not sure how to make this happen).

Reinstall Scenario:

•  
  • Since Win XP or Win 7 already is installed and the SCCM agents has been deployed then the task sequence should start with the capture state (since _SMSTSInWinPE not equals true). But since the computer does not have a computer association with a different computer the task sequence should assume that it's a reinstall migration and should therefore perform a hard linking capture.
  • After that the installation should proceed as normal but without the reformat hard drive step since this would wipe the hard link store.
  • And lastly a restore state sequence.

Replace Scenario:

•  
  • First we must do a computer association between the source computer (old) and the destination computer (new). Then place the old computer in a collection where we have advertised a capture to state migration point task sequence. Wait for the sequence to finish then boot the new computer via PXE and and let it install the OS and lastly restore the user state from the state migration point.

Looking forward for any tips!

5 answers to this question

yup it's possible in one task sequence, all you need is a nice HTA frontend and you are good to go,

as regards computer association, you don't have to create an association, you can capture the state, and save it to a usb media and then using scripts offer the technician the option of restoring that later (in a refresh scenario)

lots of ways of doing it, it's up to you to implement it,

and once you have something that works please share :)

Install Scenario:

• At top of the task sequence there should be a capture state group that does only run if task sequence variable _SMSTSInWinPE not equals true.
  • And after that the OS installation should proceed as normal but skip the Resore state at the end since there was no capture being made. (I'm not sure how to make this happen).

Just create a Task Sequence Variable that only gets set when _SMSTSInWinPE equals TRUE. Then use this variable to make the Capture (Restore and Partition) -Step start or not. Just keep in mind that by doing it this way you can't use an Offline Capture...

Reinstall Scenario:

• Since Win XP or Win 7 already is installed and the SCCM agents has been deployed then the task sequence should start with the capture state (since _SMSTSInWinPE not equals true). But since the computer does not have a computer association with a different computer the task sequence should assume that it's a reinstall migration and should therefore perform a hard linking capture.
  • After that the installation should proceed as normal but without the reformat hard drive step since this would wipe the hard link store.
  • And lastly a restore state sequence.

Just use the same Task Sequence Variable as mentioned before.

Replace Scenario:

• First we must do a computer association between the source computer (old) and the destination computer (new). Then place the old computer in a collection where we have advertised a capture to state migration point task sequence. Wait for the sequence to finish then boot the new computer via PXE and and let it install the OS and lastly restore the user state from the state migration point.

The last one is a bit harder to implement in the same Task Sequence... Probebly a HTA as mentioned by Niall is the best way.

I found this link while searching for a way to run an in-place migration of an encrypted computer (Truecrypt). This will be XP to W7. Since the machine has total disk encryption enabled, the only option is to run USMT to state migration point, then reboot and PXE boot to WDS. This will format disk to wipe out disk encryption, install new OS, followed by USMT Restore.

Question was if it was possible to combine steps in one task. Answer I think is yes and no.

Step 1:

Create Replace Computer task: Advertise to collection, this runs USMT to SMP, creates computer association, reboot

Step 2:

Create Deploy Computer task: Advertise to collection, set mandatory. When system boots, it auto runs PXE boot and assigned advertisment.

Question is, if I set a mandatory advertisment and the system is currently running, how to get it to reboot for PXE run and not start task sequence in OS?

Regards,

John R