A_Bobby

Event ID 10016

Question

First things first, thanks a lot for setting up this wonderful site. I have resolved many issues by reading posts on this forum.

I have set up a hyper-v lab @home that I use to learn and test deployment using SCCM 2007 R2/SP2 on Win2k8 R2 64bit. The lab has 20 clients managed by the SCCM server that is also a root DC. All clients have been created using a sysprepd and captured image and are win2k8 server r2 64bit clients. Here's the issue. When I create and advertise a package to a collection, it gets installed on some clients while on others it just doesn't start and eventually times out in error. On the clients where it does not start, I log on to the client using domain admin ID and open the confg manager client properties in control panel. Under Actions tab, I choose "Machine policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle" and click Initiate Action. This is something I usually do to speed things up but in case where the package does not start, instead of successful message I get, "The action could not be initiated". It also logs Event ID 1006 in the event viewer with following details

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

{F80A8D57-D338-43FF-A5E6-5D093EA80775}

and APPID

{AD65A69D-3831-40D7-9629-9B0B50A93843}

to the user DOMAIN\administrator SID (S-1-5-21-3102697118-2973695134-1900920546-500) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

The APP ID points to SMS Agent Host COM object. The permissions are set as default and I am assuming since it works on some clients ( and this is random, if one client gets package A ok, it can have this issue with package B or vice versa) Now, here's the kicker. If I reboot the client and login back again I can successfully launch the "Machine policy retrieval & Evaluation cycle" and the package appears as if nothing wrong ever happended. All the articles I have read so far are either outdated or the fix they provide, which is usually to change default permissions, have not resolved my issue. I do not want to change any default permissions on the com object becuase the darn thing works on some clients but not on others

9 answers to this question

are all the clients at the same level patch wise (windows updates) and are they using the same version of ConfigMgr Client ?

Yes, all the clients are at same patch level. When I created the image from source machine I had updated the machine to latest patch level. The config mgr client is also the same. It gets installed as part of OS install task sequence using the package that I set up before. The client discovers the SMS site ok.

I do want to mention here that I just updated the SCCM to sp2 recently to see if it resolves the issue but all the clients have been installed pre sp2.

The clients are all at 4.00.6487.2000. The issue is still there.

can you check the client logs to see if it has issues while running the machine policy ?

are you able to disover the site code ?

Also can you check the CLSID(F80A8D57-D338-43FF-A5E6-5D093EA80775) in component services--->My computer-->DCOM Config , if you have permission on this particualr ID with Local Launch and Remote Lanuch Permissions ?

can you check the client logs to see if it has issues while running the machine policy ?

are you able to disover the site code ?

Also can you check the CLSID(F80A8D57-D338-43FF-A5E6-5D093EA80775) in component services--->My computer-->DCOM Config , if you have permission on this particualr ID with Local Launch and Remote Lanuch Permissions ?

Thanks for your reply.

Which client logs in particular should I look at?

Yes, I am able to discover the site code

CLSID(F80A8D57-D338-43FF-A5E6-5D093EA80775) does not appear under Dcom config. Only APPID does. CLSID is in registry that points to this app id.

Thanks for your reply.

Which client logs in particular should I look at?

Yes, I am able to discover the site code

CLSID(F80A8D57-D338-43FF-A5E6-5D093EA80775) does not appear under Dcom config. Only APPID does. CLSID is in registry that points to this app id.

Well.. for now my problem is resolved by restarting the client service, CCMexec.exe

Hi all. I have not posted before and I am new. I realize this is an older thread but I'm pulling my hair out on this one. It is the same type of issue.

DCOM system account has been set according to troubleshooting (all checked) for now. Services restarted. SA password is working and has been verified but MP still has an issue and this DCOM error is still persistent. My clients are almost all inactive but can be pinged and repaired from the management console. MP is not functioning of course. We had a storage failure and all of the virtual machines including my sql and configmgr servers experienced unexpected shutdowns and kernel-power critical errors. CLSid is SMS Agent Host and the APPID is ccmexec

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Date: 2/25/2014 1:33:18 PM
Event ID: 10016
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: LOCAL SERVICE
Computer: ADM-V-CM01.Pokagon.local
Description:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{1A9FFCE9-10C1-40BC-9815-B20C1DC2D156}
and APPID
{AD65A69D-3831-40D7-9629-9B0B50A93843}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">10016</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-02-25T18:33:18.436381700Z" />
<EventRecordID>76531</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="768" ThreadID="2688" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>SERVER.Domain.local</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />
I hope someone here can tell me where the client permission disconnect can be located.
:wacko: Befuddled