Lewis

Deploy office 2010

Question

Hi All,

If you run a normal setup of office 2010 (which contains multiple products on the source cd) you will be prompted to pick a product to install and then the setup would continue with user intervention.

The Article on the technet is a straight forward one and it works as accepted where your source CD contains just one product.

What if you want to install office 2010 silently using SCCM or a network share and your source cd contains multiple products. It took me 10 hours to figure this out.

To install the software through SCCM (eg: Professional Plus)

1. After you have configured OCT (Refer to "Create a Setup customization file for Office 2010") in

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff404178.aspx

This is very important step after you have configured OCT:- (Do not skip this)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Copy the config.xml file from "proplus folder" and paste it in the root of source folder "ie in the folder where you have setup.exe"

3. Then configure SCCM for office 2010 deployment. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff404178.aspx

To Silentely install the software from a network share (eg: Professional Plus)

1. Configure office 2010 using OCT. (Refer to "Create a Setup customization file for Office 2010") in

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff404178.aspx

2. In the run box type the following command

setup.exe /config \\servername\Sharename\Proplus\config.xml

For eg:

setup.exe /config \\ABC\Office2010\Proplus\config.xml

Setup.exe: Will launch the setup.

/Config: Is a switch

ABC: Is the server name.

Office2010: Is the Sharename which contains the office source file.

4 answers to this question

just extract an ISO of Office 2010 copy to a share on SCCM server or where ever your creating packages from, then just run "setup.exe /admin" on any PC and configure everything you need within the customization wizard (silent install, disable product installs, add registry keys ect...). save as an MSP file and add this file to the updates folder within the office 2010 share on the server. Then create a SCCM package call the setup.exe without any switches from that share and add to DP. Setup.exe will run with the settings saved in the MSP within the updates folder.

just extract an ISO of Office 2010 copy to a share on SCCM server or where ever your creating packages from, then just run "setup.exe /admin" on any PC and configure everything you need within the customization wizard (silent install, disable product installs, add registry keys ect...). save as an MSP file and add this file to the updates folder within the office 2010 share on the server. Then create a SCCM package call the setup.exe without any switches from that share and add to DP. Setup.exe will run with the settings saved in the MSP within the updates folder.

Dizzle.. Yes and no.

That works fine if you have an Office disc with ONLY Office 2010 on it, not Professional Plus that Lewis was talking about. Professional Plus has Office, Project, Visio etc on it, and you need to select the setup individually for each.

Lewis, thanks for the leg work.. I've been trying to do that for a couple of weeks now :P

Hello Dizzle,

The steps that you have mentioned will only work if you have a standalone sku of office 2010 standard or professional plus.

The steps which I have mentioned is beneficial for organization which has a Volume licensing with Microsoft, because when they download the office 2010 package from the VL site, the single package contains the following content

Standalone packages

===================

word

excelpowerpoint

access

one-note

visio

project

sharepoint workspace

Along with standalone packages they also contain the following packages.

========================================================================

Office 2010 standard edition

office 2010 Professional plus

When SCCM executes the task sequence the setup stalls, as it has no information on which package / Product to install. Thats why you need to copy the proper config.xml file in the source folder. In my case i wanted to install professional plus from the Volumen licensing package, so i had copied the "config.xml" from the "ProPlus" folder to the source folder.

So now when SCCM executes the task sequence, it will first check which product to install.

Config.xml which was copied to the source folder has the information (in my case professional plus)

Then it will pass the control to your custom .msp file in the Updates folder.

Hope this clears everything.

Hi,

I am installing MS Office 2010 through SCCM by using the above information.MS Office 2010 is deploying silently if i choose from the user portal just by clicking the package.but when i add MS Office 2010 with task Sequence,It fails to install(application like Adobe n Symantec are working fine with OSD)