Liquidstate

SCCM or Imagex "Parameter is incorrect"

Question

Hi I am trying to capture a Windows 7 64bit pro as a task sequence in SCCM 2007 and i have tried using MDT 2010 with imagex and always get the same error "The parameter is incorrect. (Error: 80070057". I have done a chkdsk and this happens on 2 different hardware also.

This is what the advertisment status log says.

The task sequence execution engine failed executing the action (Capture Operating System Image) in the group () with the error code 2147942487

Action output: ystemImage( progressUi, slVolumesToCapture, sOfflineSystemRoot, ImageFile), HRESULT=80070057 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\capturesystemimage\capturesystemimage.cpp,909)

Closing image file \\bur5deploy\Deployment\Captures\NV_Win7x64_v1.wim

Command line for extension .EXE is "%1" %*

Set command line: "X:\sms\bin\x64\OSDSETUPHOOK.EXE" "/enable:d:\windows\system32" /version:6.1

Executing command line: "X:\sms\bin\x64\OSDSETUPHOOK.EXE" "/enable:d:\windows\system32" /version:6.1

Enabling OSD setup hook

Process completed with exit code 0

Cleaning up partial image file \\bur5deploy\Deployment\Captures\NV_Win7x64_v1.wim...

Finished with error code 0x80070057

Unable to capture the volume image (0x80070057)

Failed to capture system image. This is usually caused by a problem with the program. Please check the Microsoft Knowledge Base to determine if this is a known issue or contact Microsoft Support Services for further assistance.

The parameter is incorrect. (Error: 80070057; Source: Windows). The operating system reported error 2147942487: The parameter is incorrect.

Ive tried serching on google and even this site and no avail.

Ive checked my settings and my PXE boot image is 64bit.

The workstation sysprep'd ok

Any ideas?

Logfile also attached

smsts.log.txt

7 answers to this question

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah ive seen the first link and was hoping for a solution without rebuilding the OS, as there is every chance it happening again.

Plus the guy that customised the OS for 3 weeks says he does not want to re-do the installtion, and i cant force him as hes in a different department.

Which kinda leaves me struggling to fix this. in the mean time im using ghost and a firewire drive..... painfully slow

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah ive seen the first link and was hoping for a solution without rebuilding the OS, as there is every chance it happening again.

Plus the guy that customised the OS for 3 weeks says he does not want to re-do the installtion, and i cant force him as hes in a different department.

Which kinda leaves me struggling to fix this. in the mean time im using ghost and a firewire drive..... painfully slow

If you have the computer with all the reuquired settings and applications installed onto it, why dont you use Imagex to capture the WIM ? just boot through WINPE and run the commandline to capture

If you have the computer with all the reuquired settings and applications installed onto it, why dont you use Imagex to capture the WIM ? just boot through WINPE and run the commandline to capture

Thats what ive been trying to do but it gives me the error "parameter is incorrect" in SCCM or PXE boot and using imagex

This is the first time ive run into this issue after using imagex for a couple of years.

And because of moving to windows 7, so our plan B for the time being till i get this solved is to use Ghost for this particular instance.

Which is a nightmare to use as i have loads of workstations to clone to

using diskpart, what partitions are on the computer you are trying to capture ?

this is a very good reason NOT to be doing it this way, much better to automate it 100% using a build and capture tasksequence which creates your master image (the one you are trying to capture now), you can then tweak that to your hearts content later on down the line, try tweaking the current image you have (which someone else made... ) in a repeatable way ... not so easy.

using diskpart, what partitions are on the computer you are trying to capture ?

this is a very good reason NOT to be doing it this way, much better to automate it 100% using a build and capture tasksequence which creates your master image (the one you are trying to capture now), you can then tweak that to your hearts content later on down the line, try tweaking the current image you have (which someone else made... ) in a repeatable way ... not so easy.

Im just trying to capture the C Drive, a single primary partition.

The trouble with build and capture is ive not got all the apps etc as packages in SCCM yet, which the plan is later down the road to have this which will make things easier.

Before SCCM ive been using MDT for ages and not had a problem bulding a Win XP machine, installing apps and settings then using imagex.

Ive also managed to use SCCM to capture a windows 7 build from a Dell Blade for our renderfarm, which is a cutdown version from the Workstation im having problems with.

That all went ok so and was built first with apps then Captured with SCCM, so something screwy with the workstation which is driving me nuts

Ive finally figured it out whats stopping imagex from working and giving me this error.

I found 2 folders in "c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\" that had spaces on the end of the directory name.

This it what imagex does not like, so if i change this or exclude these folders then it creates the Wim file.