Kingskawn

Loosing video driver when capture begins

Question

I successfully installed a Lenovo T510 but when I want to capture this afterwards the window with 'Prepare OS' & 'Running sysprep command' is blinking 5 times or so and then the screen becomes black and the video driver is gone and become a vga adapter again.

All the rest is ok but not the video card.

I got this log from the 'All status messages'

MessageID 11141

ProcessID 4472

ThreadID 1840

The task sequence execution engine failed execution of a task sequence. The operating system reported error 1: Incorrect function.

MessageID 11135

ProcessID 4472

ThreadID 1840

The task sequence execution engine failed executing the action (Prepare OS) in the group (Capture) with the error code 1

Action output: signed by DHCP

Captured settings for adapter 2

OSDNetSettings finished: 0x00000000

Process completed with exit code 0

Entering ReleaseSource() for C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\AMS001C7

reference count 1 for the source C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\AMS001C7 before releasing

Delete source directory C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\AMS001C7

Released the resolved source C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\AMS001C7

Pre-staging of WINPE image successful

Opening Certificate store my ok.

No Machine Certificates todelete

Deleting Machine Certificates succeeded

Executing 'C:\Windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /quiet /generalize /oobe /quit' ...

Command line for extension .exe is "%1" %*

Set command line: "C:\Windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe" /quiet /generalize /oobe /quit

Executing command line: "C:\Windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe" /quiet /generalize /oobe /quit

Failed to show task sequence progress dialog. Error code 0x8001010e

Failed to show task sequence progress dialog. Error code 0x800706ba. The operating system reported error 1: Incorrect function.

What is happening?

I have the same thing on a Dell E6510 for the video card. I'm using version 8.15.10.2182 because version 8.15.10.2104 from the Dell cab file was giving me an error 'persistence module' from igfxpers.exe file at logon. The error is gone with the newer driver but I cannot capture the image :(

(The only solution I found was to boot the machine with a winpe and copy the image with imageX but when I deploy this the video driver isn't installed so this is the last thing I would do)

6 answers to this question

To minimize the installation time. I just got drivers, some manufacturer apps, office 2010 and IBM iSeries Client on the image. I successfully managed to capture 8 different machines (Lenovo, HP, Dell) but some are getting me some headache (Dell E6510 & Lenovo T510)

Ok I looked over the the c:\windows\setupact.log and discovered this

[02/09/2011 15:34.19.873] WudfCoInstaller: Created marker file C:\Windows\system32\drivers\Msft_User_WUDFUsbccidDriver_01_09_00.Wdf.

dispci.dll:  ============BEGIN DisplayClassInstaller============
dispci.dll:  DisplayClassInstaller: Unrecognized DIF request 0x0
dispci.dll:  ============END DisplayClassInstaller==============
montr_ci.dll:  MonitorClassInstaller: Unrecognized DIF request
montr_ci.dll:  Returning 0xe000020e for function 0x6.
dispci.dll:  ============BEGIN DisplayClassInstaller============
dispci.dll:  DisplayClassInstaller: Returning 0xe000020e for DIF 0xc
dispci.dll:  ============END DisplayClassInstaller==============
montr_ci.dll:  DIF_DESTROYPRIVATEDATA
montr_ci.dll:  Returning 0xe000020e for function 0xc.
2011-02-09 15:35:25, Info                  CBS    Trusted Installer signaled for shutdown, going to exit.
2011-02-09 15:35:25, Info                  CBS    Ending the TrustedInstaller main loop.
2011-02-09 15:35:25, Info                  CBS    Starting TrustedInstaller finalization.
2011-02-09 15:35:25, Info                  CBS    Failed to unload the COMPONENTS hive. [hrESULT = 0x80070057 - E_INVALIDARG]
2011-02-09 15:35:25, Info                  CBS    Ending TrustedInstaller finalization.
AudMig: No audio endpoint migration settings found 0x2

So I searched on the inet if there was some usefull information and some say it's the video card, audio card or SATA drivers and some say to change the password policies on the captured machine because the password must be blank.

Now I have run a build and capture (all-in-one) and it still is looping and waiting on

Running action: Prepare OS

Running sysprep command

BUT there's a screen behind that one with title: "Uninstall Drivers" - To proceed with the uninstallation, first close all applications, then click the OK button below.

I agree with Peter, I think you may want to focus on capturing an image with very few drivers, and then deploy the drivers when you deploy your image. This way you can have a lot more flexibility with the drivers (using WMI queries). That, and you get rid of the headache of trying to get all the drivers to play nicely together. Just capture the base image, and then add the drivers to the SCCM repository. The Build and Capture process should use very few, if any, drivers...

I would agree with Peter and Lucid,

do Build and Capture from virtual machines, keep the image hardware agnostic, add all your drivers to the deploy task sequence based on wmi queries, much cleaner and less hassle

that said, you could try bios updates and/or newer video drivers from the video card manufacturer..