anyweb

natural language search in Vista

Question

Natural Language Search in Windows Vista

I just stumbled upon something in Windows Vista that totally made my day (considering I'm writing this at 6:00am on a flight down to San Jose, at least I suspect it will make my day... until my head hits the pillow again!)

A few years ago, I was hooked on a Microsoft-internal desktop search tool called FindMyStuff. It was a research project that ended up spawning the first version of MSN Desktop Search... which eventually became Windows Desktop Search. The beauty of this application, and what (for some reason) was removed when it was productized, was the ability to use natural language to search for anything on your machine. It was crazy cool.

And I thought it disappeared. But it turns out Windows Vista has something similar. I don't know why I didn't know about this until three minutes ago when I found it in Search Options. I was messing around with some of the settings when I found an (unchecked!) checkbox for "Use natural language search" in Folder and Search Options:

more info > http://mike.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!F...!7837.entry

image.png

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet