flyinghaggis

OS Install - "No Task Sequences Available to this computer.."

Question

Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to SCCM 2007 having recently inherited responsibility for it. Recently whilst deploying OS installs to PXE boot client computers I've been finding that the install is getting to the point where it's about to start Installing Windows but is generating the following error (if you press F8 and check the build log) :-

Component: TSPxe

Source: tsmediawizardcontrol.cpp:2086

There are no task sequences available to this computer.. Please Ensure you have at least one task sequence advertised to this computer. Unspecified error (error: 80004005; Source: Windows)

The PC then simply reboots without installing the OS,formatting the HDD or carrying out any actions other than the initial PXE boot. I've checked and as far as I can see the task sequences are enabled and assigned to the computers and the certificates are up to date. This started happening about a week ago out of the blue and, AFAIK, we haven't changed any settings?

Can anyone suggest any possible causes for this error and any settings we should double-check as I'm feeling a bit puzzled by it all at the moment!

use computer association to import this computer into a collection that contains the Advertisement (of the new OS) then try again,

or

enable the Unknown Computers collection ability on your PSP (PXE service point) (need R2 or R3) and advertise the same TS to the Unknown Computers collection

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still stuck unfortunately though. I've tried creating new task sequences,collections and advertisments but everything I try seems to get to the same point of "windows is starting..." and then reboots with the error "There are no task sequences available to this computer.. Please Ensure you have at least one task sequence advertised to this computer. Unspecified error (error: 80004005; Source".

I don't understand what's going on because the PC itself is picking up the PXE advertisment and booting off the WindowsPE x86 image but as soon as it's past that point it's simply ignoring any instructions in the task sequence for some reason?

Do you have a resource object within SCCM that matches the MAC address of the machine being imaged? If so, is it within one of the collections where you advertise the OS task sequence?

Yea, the MAC address matches and it's in a collection where the advertisment for the PC to be re-installed is. If I right-click on the PC resource I can literally see the advertisment for the task sequence that's linked to it aswell but still no joy in getting past the initial PXE boot ("Windows is starting" SCCM screen)?

The computers I'm trying to build are all on the same subnet. And the same domain in fact aswell.

You say it's not getting past the starting Windows message... Is this when you're booting up into Windows PE? If so, maybe try creating an OS deployment CD using the ConfigMgr console and use that to boot instead of PXE. That way you can remove one variable from the equation and see if it's SCCM, or PXE that needs attention...

You say it's not getting past the starting Windows message... Is this when you're booting up into Windows PE? If so, maybe try creating an OS deployment CD using the ConfigMgr console and use that to boot instead of PXE. That way you can remove one variable from the equation and see if it's SCCM, or PXE that needs attention...

It's definitely the SCCM part that's broken as PXE booting works OK. Examing the log it's literally saying that there are no task sequences assigned even through there definitely are as far as I can see!

Well, this might be over the top, but... Have you tried restarting the server to see if maybe something is hung up? And have you Googled for the "80004005" error code to see if any of the solutions people have come across apply to your situation?

Also, do your software deployments work fine? Is it just your OS task sequences acting odd? Maybe try using a task sequence to deploy something simple like Flash Player and see if that works....