anyweb

using SCCM 2012 beta 2 in a LAB - Part 1. Installation

create a user in AD called SMSadmin, add that user as a local administrator on member1 then try again as the SMSadmin user does it work then ?

Again the same unfortunately (I also added SMSadmin as a user in SQL Server, otherwise I got the error only SQL Server 2008 SP1 was supported, which seems to be the error you get when the SQL server is unreachable).

are you sure you followed the steps exactly as i specify in the guide ? anything you did differently ? you are testing with beta 2 right ?

I am getting the same issues, however I am doing an all-in-one install I have my DC,SQL and SCCM on the 1 server could that cause an issue. I have followed your guide to the letter (just gave the accounts a more friendly name, the logon names are the same) and I have tried reboots to see if the permissions have applied, restarted SQL service still no luck. Any ideas?

s3lt0x.png

2d8f2wh.png

Quick note forgot to say also disabled firewall, in a LAB enviroment so don't really care about security just want to have a play with it.

Edited by TechGuy83

error setup

2fb3bb9789.png

View log

<01-12-2012 11:53:32> INFO: HMCSCCM2012 is not joining (CCAR) hierarchy. CCAR Server has to be specified.

<01-12-2012 11:53:32> VC redist is being installed from C:\CONFIGMGR_2012_BETA2_ENU_7561\SMSSETUP\BIN\X64\vcredist_x64.msi.

<01-12-2012 11:53:51> Successfully installed VC redist.

<01-12-2012 11:53:51> VC redist is being installed from C:\CONFIGMGR_2012_BETA2_ENU_7561\SMSSETUP\BIN\I386\vcredist_x86.msi.

<01-12-2012 11:54:04> Successfully installed VC redist.

<01-12-2012 11:54:04> INFO: SMS database will install on local sql server, don't need install RMO.

<01-12-2012 11:54:12> INFO: Name for SQL Param string value is SQLArg3.

<01-12-2012 11:54:12> ERROR: Failed to write string -T8295 to registry on SQL Server [HMCSCCM2012].

<01-12-2012 11:54:12> INFO: Name for SQL Param string value is SQLArg3.

<01-12-2012 11:54:12> ERROR: Failed to write string "-T4199" to registry on SQL Server [HMCSCCM2012].

<01-12-2012 11:54:12> Creating SQL Server machine certificate for Server [HMCSCCM2012]...

<01-12-2012 11:54:12> INFO: 'HMCSCCM2012.HMCINTERNAL.BIZ' is a valid FQDN.

I would recommend you forget about beta 2 and look at my guides for installing Release Candidate instead, the issue you are having does ring a bell however and as far as i remember it was to do with sql itself and what account is was running under, changing it to Local System seemed to be the fix

For those who have been following this topic and never really found the answer (or those who just ran across it while looking for the answer):

1. Ensure that you have created a group in AD for SCCM that includes the machine, and then add it to SQL servers local administrators group. You CAN do this method of security, or a multitude of other steps, you pick. But the answers below are specific to my way, sorry.

2. Add the SQL Server login that will associate with the group name you used.

3. Associate the serveradmin, sysdmin, and public roles (again, if you aren't a DBA, you will just accept these and move on sir.)

4. Run your pre-req checks again (also note, the group you created with the accounts? Ya, add it to your SCCM server as well).

And voila, you will pass the machine is not a member error.

Now, do this in your lab all day long, but make SURE you are performing the most secure setup possible per the deployment guide, as well as ensuring that all of your SCCM accounts don't have permissions all over the place.