anyweb

using SCCM 2012 beta 2 in a LAB - Part 1. Installation

When i requested the email for the hotfix i extracted the one with the name: SQLServer2008-KB2497673-IA64.exe. when i try to run it i get an error stating: The current operation system is of x64 architecture. This media is not supported for running on the system. This is windows 2008 x64. sql 2008 SP1 x64.

no it does not have to be installed on the same machine, but if you want to save yourself some headaches I would strongly recommend that you keep it local

My setup is:

Server1.contoso.local - this machine is only being used as a DC, nothing else.

Member1.contoso.local - On this machine is SQL server 2008 + SP1 + cumulative update 14.

I try to install SCCM 2012 beta 2 on member1 but keep getting errors about administrative rights. From what I have read you are only supposed to get such errors when the SQL server installation is on another server, but my SQL installation is on the same machine on which I try to install SCCM. Nonetheless, I already added the member1 computer account to the local administrators on ... member1 (I don't know whether this makes any sense but just to be sure). The account which I use to install everything is the default domain admin account named administrator (I think this might not be be the best idea from a security standpoint but this is a test setup and I don't want to make things unnecessarily complicated).

2pre89w.jpg

The log, which sometimes is more revealing, says this:

MEMBER1.CONTOSO.LOCAL; Site server computer account administrative rights; Error; Configuration Manager Setup requires that site server computer possess administrative rights on the SQL Server and management point computers.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Anyone?

did you add the computer account for Member1 to the local administrators group ? and are you attempting the setup as a local administrator user (SMSadmin, added to the local administrators group)

did you add the computer account for Member1 to the local administrators group ? and are you attempting the setup as a local administrator user (SMSadmin, added to the local administrators group)

Thank you for your answer. To quote myself: yes, I indeed added the computer account to the local administrators group and I use the builtin domain administrator account which is also a member of local administrators.

Nonetheless, I already added the member1 computer account to the local administrators on ... member1 (I don't know whether this makes any sense but just to be sure). The account which I use to install everything is the default domain admin account named administrator (I think this might not be be the best idea from a security standpoint but this is a test setup and I don't want to make things unnecessarily complicated).

This is the local administrators group on the server on which I try to install SCCM (on which - as I said - is also SQL server).

mw4jfa.jpg

I'm sure this is all completely unorthodox from a security standpoint.

create a user in AD called SMSadmin,

add that user as a local administrator on member1 then try again as the SMSadmin user

does it work then ?