Frank McCane

SCCM Clients not updating when moved to new location

Question

SCCM is working fine for everything I am using it for (OSD/App installs/Remote support). The problem just arose yesterday. I work in a small school district and have 4 subnets. I created a boundary for each subnet. When I get a new workstation to set up, I bring it to my office (which is in the high school) and set it up, then I deliver it to the school it was purchased for. I received a new Dell for one of the Elementary schools so I unboxed it and threw it up on the bench. I then created a computer association and did a baremetal install. everything worked great. I was able to run some one-off app installtions on it via SCCM and had no issues. This morning I set it up at the elementary school and it boots fine and works flawlessly, however... I didn't test the connectivity of the SCCM client. Now I am back in my office realizing that I need to install one more peice of software and I can not ping (right-click tools) or do a remote session with this workstation. After looking at the client properties inside of SCCM, it still has the IP address it had when it was sitting in my office. I have had my tech run a repair and kicked off a machine policy update (thinking that it would force the client to communicate with the server), but it is showing no love.

Since I am extremely new to SCCM, what would be my next step in troubleshooting this?

The part of it that totally confuses me is that I did a second workstation at the same time and it works perfectly.

2 answers to this question

I would check locationservices.log to see that the client is recieving FQDN for the MP. Use the trace32 log parser from SCCM toolkit v2 to view the log files.

My guess is that your boundaries are wrong. I know that using 10.1.2.0 with subnet mask 255.255.248.0 doesn't work as it should. I think this will result in the boundary actually beeing 10.1.2.0 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0. If this is the case switch to using IP-ranges instead.