anyweb

Customising Windows 7 deployments - part 5.

Question

Bitlocker is a nice tool from Microsoft which allows you to Encrypt the hard disc, however enabling it isn't as simple as pressing a switch or simply adding a step to your task sequence, you will really have to spend some time reading about BitLocker before you decide what strategy you take with regards to deploying it in the Enterprise.

BitLocker has some requirements and one of those is that the TPM (Trusted Platform Module) is set to ON and that it is Activated prior to Enabling BitLocker, in order to do this on Dell Systems we use the Dell CCTK (Client Configuration Tool Kit).

You will need to decide if you are going to handle the TPM specific parts while in Windows or while in WinPE. I'd strongly recommend you test both scenarios in your test environment with real hardware (obviously, you'll want TPM ready Dell hardware).

Dell also provides a page here which explains how to enable the TPM using the CCTK while in Windows (in the running OS), however what if you want to enable the TPM in WinPE ? to do that you've got the option of using batch files provided in the CCTK, these batch files require the Windows AIK installed and they create an ISO and new boot WIM for you to import into SCCM.

Nice, except maybe you don't want to regenerate your boot.wim as it already has all your Extrafiles added and it's customised with your HTA scripts etc. Also, maybe you don't want the CCTK in your boot.wim images because you are a multi-vendor site with more than just Dell hardware.

No problem, simply use the task sequence provided below and I'll guide you through how it all works, this task sequence doesn't care if your boot image is X86 or X64, it will determine that via WMI calls by checking for the presence of the SysWOW64 folder. What I'm providing here is a solution for you to Deploy Windows 7 Enterprise X64 on Dell hardware with Bitlocker Enabled so that when you login to the finished deployment, BitLocker is busy encrypting your drive.

Note: This task sequence is for enabling BitLocker in Bare Metal (New Computer) scenarios, I will cover enabling BitLocker in a Refresh scenario in a later post.

Step 1. Download the CCTK.

The CCTK is available for download here. Once you've download it, install the MSI. We need the CCTK in order to communicate with the TPM chip in our Dell computers in Windows PE (using the HAPI drivers contained in the CCTK).

Step 2. Create The CCTK packages

We need to Create two new ConfigMgr Packages for X86 and X64 CCTK.

• Copy %ProgramFiles%\Dell\CCTK\* to a location that will be used for Configuration Manager. You will have two subfolders, x86, and x86_64
  • Create two ConfigMgr Packages, using the source directory for x86, and x86_64. Send these packages to your Distribution Points

Step 3. Download BitLocker Scripts.

In order to Enable Bitlocker in this example task sequence, we use a script, Microsoft has kindly provided us with the scripts we need right here

Step 4. Create the BitLockers Scripts package

Create a new package containing the bitlocker scripts you downloaded above and distribute it to your DP's.

Step 5. Download the windows-noob sample BitLocker task sequence.

Import this task sequence:

Deploy Windows 7 Ent X64 - BITLOCKER in WinPE.xml

into Configmgr and resolve the missing packages by pointing to the following packages where necessary:-

• Operating System Image (Windows 7 X64)
  • Configuration Manager Client Package
  • CCTK X86 Package
  • CCTK X64 Package
  • Bitlocker Scripts

So how does it all work then ?

The task sequence is broken down into Two main groups for TPM, one to deal with enabling TPM functions when using an X86 boot image, the other for X64 boot images

bitlocker in winpe.png

As we haven't injected the HAPI drivers into WinPE (remember, we didn't want to have to generate new boot images, we wanted to keep our current process mostly untouched) we must manually inject them before each step (unless theres more than one step before the next Restart)

this is done via an xcopy command which copies the CCTK architecture files to x:\

xcopy CCTK.png

and then we inject the HAPI drivers in the next step

Enable HAPI.png

Next we set the Bios Password (you can change the password to something else if you wish)

set bios password.png

and then we Enable the TPM chip

enable tpm.png

after a restart of the computer (to let the bios make the changes) we have to redo the xcopy/enable HAPI drivers before the next step, Activating the TPM chip

activate Tpm.png

after another restart and CCTK xcopy/enable HAPI group and we then remove the bios password set earlier

remove tpm bios password.png

Once the steps above are done Windows will install as normal and then set windows settings etc, before finally getting to the Configure and Enable BitLocker group, this happens within Windows.

This group is responsible for preparing the disc partition for BitLocker using bdehdcfg.exe

prepare disk for bitlocker.png

and finally after another restart, we Enable BitLocker using the Enablebitlocker vbs script from Microsoft.

enable bitlocker.png

That's it ! Windows will then end up at the familiar login screen but you may notice the HDD LED is very busy, this is because BitLocker is busy Encrypting the drive,

How can I verify BitLocker is working ?

simply open explorer and you'll see a new icon for C:

bitlocker drive.png

and you can open a command prompt and type manage-bde -status

manage-bde status.png

after a few hours when the encryption process is done you'll see as follows (screenshot from another system where BitLocker has finished encrypting the drive)

protection on.png

you can also verify what is logged in the c:\windows\temp\bitlocker.txt file, here's a sample attached here

bitlocker.txt

have fun and please let me know how you get on with this,

cheers !

niall.

Related Reading:-

Is the TPM Chip Enabled or Disabled in the Bios on my Dell system ? - http://myitforum.com...ell-system.aspx

How can I determine if there's a TPM chip on my Dell system needed for BitLocker ? http://myitforum.com...-bitlocker.aspx

BitLocker Hardware Requirements - http://windows.micro...rive-Encryption

Microsoft Scripts to Enable Bitlocker - http://go.microsoft..../?LinkID=151997

BitLocker Info - a List of Resources - http://myitforum.com...-resources.aspx

How can I determine if the drive is Encrypted (Protected) or not during a BitLocker task sequence in WinPE ? - http://www.windows-n...uence-in-winpe/

How can I determine if there's a TPM chip on my Lenovo system needed for BitLocker ? - http://www.windows-n...-for-bitlocker/

• Like 1

i've just tested importing the Task Sequence on a console with SCCM 2007 SP2 R3 and MDT 2010 integrated, worked no problem. I don't have a SCCM console without MDT integration to test with so maybe that's it...

"Note: This task sequence is for enabling Bitlocker in Bare Metal (New Computer) scenarios, I will cover enabling Bitlocker in a Refresh scenario in a later post."

Noticed this reference to "Refresh scenario" that is currently causing a client of mines some consternation and wondered if you could share any findings of issues with the TPM/Bitlocker interaction in this setting.

Thanks in advance for your consideration of this post.

well what issues are you having specifically ? if you think in terms of refresh the only barrier is the encrypted drive, if you unlock the drive and suspend encryption on it then the rest of the refresh is as per normal (hardlinking and so on),

the challenge is do you

1. disable the encryption in Windows (most people do this prior to rebooting into WinPE and doing the remaining tasks)

2. disable it if found in WinPE - this is where you have to get creative as the task sequence wants to write to the largest available NTFS drive at boot time...

we did solve is though with some clever diskpart commands to reassign the drives followed by a reboot.

Hmm. So everything seems to have worked (no errors at all in the log) however the drive icon in explorer has no lock and key and control panel says bitlocker is turned off.

manage-bde -status

post-10749-0-82118900-1336505441_thumb.jpg

I lied...error in the bitlocker.txt file

Attempting to enable BitLocker TPM

ERROR - the ProtectKeyWithTPM Method failed with the exit code: 80310030

Script ended 5/8/2012 11:20:24 PM

Would leaving the bios password in place cause this?

Nevermind, searched a different way and found the error code. Makes sense I still had the sccm bootable media in the drive.

FVE_E_BOOTABLE_CDDVD 0x80310030

BitLocker Drive Encryption detected bootable media (CD or DVD) in the computer. Remove the media and restart the computer before configuring BitLocker.

• Like 1

I want to use this method, to enable Bitlocker with TPM and PIN.

The script looks like this:

enablebitlocker.vbs /on:tp /promptuser /l:%temp%\log.log

But, offcourse I want to pass the Pin code with a variable, to the script. I'm not able to prompt a user during the task sequence.

Is there a workaround for this?

Tanks in advance!

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your guides. It has been a very interesting a helpful site.

I have a problem Preparing the disk for BitLocker. I am using HP 8440p and have followed other guides on how to enable the TPM modules on the laptops. This task works fine and TPM gets enabled. The part which fails is after when the TS runs the command line "bdehdcfg.exe –target default –quiet", in the logs I get a source unknown error after the command runs. Google has turned up with no results.

At the start of the TS, after the Restart in Windows PE, we have a Partition Disk command which creates 2 partitions, one 350MB for System reserve which is bootable and the other for Windows which is not bootable.

Here is the rough process which my TS runs

Restart in Windows PE

Partition Disk (2 paritiions, system reserve and rest for Windows)

Apply operating System

Apply windows Settings

Apply Network Settings

Setup Windows and Config

Enable TPM Chip (runs a package created in SCCM to use HP BIOs config tool to enable TPM)

Restart (Restarts in the currently installed default operating system)

Prepare Drive for Bitlocker (Runs the command line "bdehdcfg.exe –target default –quiet") check box for Disable 64-bit file system redirection is ticked as we are deploying x64 Win 7

Restart (Restarts in the currently installed default operating system)

Enable Bitlocker

Everything is ok except for the one highlighted in red. Just bombs out. I check in TPM Management after it fails and reboots and logs into windows. TPM Status is on and ownership has been taken. So I assume it is all ready to go.

What am I missing, why is the command not running successfully. Is it because we already have 2 partitions created earlier in the TS?

Hope you can help. Been scratching my head for 3 days :(

Cheers!