ScottXIsles

Application removes whilst in use

Question

Hi all, First post so here goes.

Running SCCM 2007 and trying to deploy a newer revision of our SAP gui to about 200 users.

The problems arise when I deploy to a machine where the application is installed and in use, the batch removes the currently installed version in the background and throws the user out of the Gui. The application then send SCCM a notification to say successful.

Is there any way to make the package wait till the files are not in use before removing?

Here is the command line I have used to remove and install the new revision of the gui.

REM ***Removal***

"C:\Program Files\SAP\SAPsetup\setup\NwSapSetup.exe" /uninstall /product="ECL710+BW350+KW710+GUI710ISHMED+GUI710TWEAK+JNet+SAPGUI710+SAPBI" /TitleComponent:"SAPGUI710" /IgnoreMissingProducts /silent

REM ***Installation***

"%~dp0RSL_SAP_GUI_72_7_20110809_1041.exe" /silent

msiexec.exe /i "%~dp0SapGuiAdditionalFiles.msi" RebootYesNo="No" Reboot="ReallySuppress" /qn

Thanks for any help on the matter.

S

First create a group in your task sequence and put the first wmi query on this group. Give it a reasonable name. This group checks for an already existing installtion of 7.20 and skips everything if so. Next place another group under the first one (nested) and put the second wmi query on it. Also give it a name that points out the action in the logs. Don't forget to add the "if none" statements before the wmi queries.

Under the second group place the installation.

The installtion itself will run always under local system account.

It's good, it works correctly, it allowed me to migrate from version 6.40 to version720 but when I run SAP Lognon, it's not start, it displays an error message saying :

Saplogon.exe - Unable To Locate Component

This application has failed to start beacause sapfewcb.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I'm trying to do the same thing and I want to make sure I have it set up correctly. Will you please look at the screen shots and make sure I have it correct?

Is there a way to have a program be part of a task sequence but still allow the user to interact with it? I like to show a progress bar during installation so my users know something is happening.

post-6741-0-94484300-1317228687_thumb.png

post-6741-0-70590000-1317228695_thumb.png

Hi kevin,

looks good this way if you want to install SAPGUI 7.10.

Task sequences however are always non interactive and programs have to be set as non interactive as well to be usable in task sequences. The only way to get some interaction into a task sequence is HTA scripting. To show the users whats going on you can use the advertisement property for the task sequence progress. Thes progress bar itself is just reflecting the the the number of steps in the task sequence, in this case 3. It will not move until the installation is finished.

If you set it to always rerun it reruns according to your schedule. To be mentioned, "As soon as possible" is no valid schedule.

Just set it your schedule to "at logon". Chances are good that program is not running then.

To avoid a client spam create a negative collection with all clients that have not installed the program yet and apply the advertisement to this collection. As soon as the program is installed and the client runs a hardware inventory, the client object will be removed from the collection.

That's what i do with all mandatory program upgrades.