anyweb

using SCCM 2012 in a LAB - Part 5. Enable the Endpoint Protection Role and configure Endpoint Protection settings

that's only the index of updates, ie: whats available, so unless you downloaded everything you've nothing to be concerned about

if you want to verify that look at whether each update is downloaded or not,

also, to sort the updates use the Search ability and add criteria, for example type in definition updates in the search field and click search

Great Post! I have everything working correctly but am perplexed on how to address EPP clients that have problems. For example, in my lab I took a client machine off the network to simulate a remote user who was not logged into the network. I removed the EPP client to see if it would be reinstalled after it detected it back on the network. Configuration manager did detect that EPP was not there, but it never tries to install again and there doesnt seem to be any tool to allow you to force it. I tried reinstalling the config manager client on this particular machine thinking that while it repaired itself, it would reinstall the EPP client but it didnt. Do I need to create a special package with the EPP client to deploy in situtaions like this, is there a value somewhere in the configuration of the server that needs to be changed (maybe I am not waiting long enough?) or am I missing something?

Edited by Onalos

Hi together,

i got problems with the automatic deployment rule. i get the error code 0X87D20417 with the following information: automatic deployment rule download failed. when i start the download of a forefront update manualy i works great and places the update in the selected folder.

Can anyone give my a little bit help.

in the ruleengine.log i got the following error: Failed to download the update from internet. Error = 5 and in the next line Failed to download contentID 16791605 for UpdateID 16792808. Error code = 5.

:(

Brgds, Jan

The error 0x87D20417 is a generic error that means that the Download failed for some reason. The ruleengine.log is a good place to start, but you will get a much better reason for your failure in the PatchDownloader.log file. Look there for the real reason for your failure.

In your case Error 5 is Access Denied. The probable reason is that your SYSTEM account does not have the correct permissions to the share you are downloading to.

Here is an example of what you might see:

Downloading content for ContentID = 237, FileName = windows-kb890830-x64-v4.4.exe.

Failed to create directory
\\<server>\<share>\7ae115b8-160a-4324-8c47-a8ce324669f4.1\
error 5

ERROR: DownloadContentFiles() failed with hr=
0x80070005

I hope this helps!

Scott

Hi together,

i got problems with the automatic deployment rule. i get the error code 0X87D20417 with the following information: automatic deployment rule download failed. when i start the download of a forefront update manualy i works great and places the update in the selected folder.

Can anyone give my a little bit help.

in the ruleengine.log i got the following error: Failed to download the update from internet. Error = 5 and in the next line Failed to download contentID 16791605 for UpdateID 16792808. Error code = 5.

:(

Brgds, Jan

I had the same issue and the solution was to use Admin Share (\\server\D$) for some reason even though i had full permissions on the share download had error code = 5 (access denied)

you use antimalware policies to do that, you can Import predefined policies by clicking on Import in the ribbon, and there are many predefined policies there which exclude specific services/files/folders etc depending on server role, browse through them and you'll see what I mean.

• Like 1

you use antimalware policies to do that, you can Import predefined policies by clicking on Import in the ribbon, and there are many predefined policies there which exclude specific services/files/folders etc depending on server role, browse through them and you'll see what I mean.

thank you very much for your cooperation!

Hi

I have the same error as Aristotiles, the updates are working well, when i download them manually, but when i create an Automatic Deployment Rule for Endpoint Protection 2010 it fails.

In ruleengine.log i got the erro "Failed to download ContentID 16778669 for UpdateID 16779338. Error code = 5"

I have already try to download definition update manually, let SCCM create the package and the software update group, and then create the ADR pointing to the previous created package, and still not working.

This is a LAB environment with no proxy, the machines just connect directly to the internet

Appreciate some help here \0/

Thanks

I’m having a similar issue to about with the automatic deployment rule…

In my environment we don’t allow servers to access to the outside world with few exceptions. I have my Software Update Point running a dedicated box with access out for updates. All my other Site Servers have no access out.

In order for me to download my updates I need to log on to the SUP Box and launch the SCCM console locally – which is fine. However, the automatic deployment continually fails. I’m assuming this is because the rule is attempting to run on a Management Server with restricted access out.

Is there a way for me to force the rule to run on the SUP box?