Before performing the steps below you should perform a test DB (database) upgrade as detailed below.WARNING: the following can corrupt the database if used on a production database. It cannot be used more than once on the same database copy.
Step 1. Test the DataBase upgrade
Note you should have backed up your SMS database using SMS database backup prior to running this. In addition, copy your SCCM 2007 SP2 media to a local folder for the DB upgrade process.
On your SMS 2003 Server:-
- Open SQL Server Management Studio.
- Right click Databases select Restore Database.
- For Database (type in): CopyofServerName (replace ServerName with your SMS server name)
- Select From Device, use ellipses button to browse. Click the Add button.
- in Files of Type, use drop down to select all Files(*)
- Expand the location where your SMS database is backed up to, for example C:\SMS_BACKUP\SiteDBServer select the SMSbkSQLDBsite.dat file.
- Click Ok, and Ok again. Select Restore Box to check.
- Ok, and Ok to Restore was successful
- Open Command prompt and Browse to your SCCM Sources Media folder. SCCM 2007 with SP2\SMSSETUP\BIN\I386
setup.exe /testdbupgrade CopyofServerName
- Answer YES, Click Begin Upgrade
- Open log files: C:\ConfigMgrPrereq.log, C:\ConfigMgrSetup.log
- A window should appear and say successful
- If unsuccessful stop here, if successful, move forward.
- Clean up CopyofServerName Database. Right click CopyofServerName database, select Delete, leave defaults, click ok.
First of all download the iso from your MSDN account or Microsoft Connect.
once done, burn it to DVD or mount the ISO using Daemon tools or similar.
sccm_logo.JPG 24.21KB 75 downloads
Before starting the process you'll need to know the prerequisites, and thankfully there is a prerequisite checker included on the DVD.
Next you should run the prerequisite checker
run_prerequisite.JPG 28.41KB 57 downloads
so let's run that and see what it says
If like me you already have an SMS 2003 server setup then it will automatically choose the upgrade option, as this server is the only SMS site we will click ok to continue.
upgrade.JPG 28.11KB 34 downloads
After some scanning it will present you with a results page, double clicking on a result will tell you what you have to do to fix the problem.
check_results.JPG 59.67KB 24 downloads
As I was running SQL 2000 sp4, it correctly flagged that I needed to upgrade that to SQL 2005, at this point I exited the SMS>SCCM process (click on cancel) and got my SQL 2005 iso (en_sql_2005_std_x86_dvd.iso).