pxedave

SCCM 2012 User Device Affinity (UDA), OSD and ZT - Quick question...

Hi,

Zero touch deployments (SCCM 2012 RC Windows 7) all good. Now I want my task sequence to also install some applications based on the UDA that has already been defined in the console. I see a number of guides on modifying the task sequence to PROMPT the builder for UDA (variables etc) and make use of this but does anyone know how I set things up for this to work for zero touch? Do I have to add variables to the TS to make this work or does this just work out of the box?...

...Also, assuming UDA is all about creating a user collection per app and deploying apps to these required (rather than available), I forsee that some of our apps will need to target device collections instead of user collections (due to strict licensing requirements). Can/will an OSD task sequence also automatically install apps targeting the machine as well as the user of that machine? Forgive me if I'm missing something here...

Hi anyweb. So you're saying I do need to make some changes to my TS to make this work? I'm guessing I need to set a variable just to turn on this feature forcing the task to get the user(s) from SCCM database? Any other clues? I'm a bit lost here, sorry...

see step 4. here http://www.windows-n...ore-out-of-uda/

you need those TWO variables set (don't delete them) - if you set collection variables then you can remove the extrafiles we use to prompt the user and it'll do the same thing. however that'll apply those settings to all computers in the collection, you can of course set these variables on teh computer object itself using the same methodology

Hi. You're describing hard-coding the userid to be used by the build within variable (collection or device). Am I right? If so, we would need to create one collection per machine or modify device records individually(!?) I'm just wanting the build to use the userid that has previously been set against my machines (using "import user affinity"). I feel like I'm missing something here...

OK it looks like this works right out of the box. I tested this by 1) creating a user collection for the app, 2) deploying the app to this user collection (required not available), 3) putting a user account in the user collection and 4) making this user the primary user of the machine I rebuilt. I then rebuilt another 3 times using variations of users and machines and it seems to work every time; the app being installed before the first ctrl+alt+delete. Next test, what happens at OS deployment time when you target device collections rather than user collections in advance, but I'm guessing it will work in the same way. We're very impressed with the RC so far...

to add to the fun logon as a different user that the primary user, create a deployment type to uninstall the app based on a requirement that the user is not the primary user