robailey08

Trouble working with Autounattend.xml

Question

I have created an Autounattend.xml file to automatically install the windows 7 os but i have looked and looked and can not figure out what to do next with it. I just need the idea of where to place it or what other steps i am missing to get windows to pick it up and install it. If it makes it easier i could upload what the xml looks like I just need dire help figuring this out for my school project I have never worked with this before just giving me a lot of trouble. Thank you in advance

2 answers to this question

You can place a copy of the Win7 unattend.xml in your C:\windows\system32\sysprep folder.

Run sysprep from a command line and use the /unattend switch.

Example:

c:\windows\system32\sysprep>sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:unattend.xml

Setup will read the unattend file from the location you specify above. Check this tutorial for details. Pay special attention to Step #12, if you are going to include your unattend file in your image (that may include a KEY or unhashed text password) be sure to create the scripts to remove the unattend.xml on boot.