slater7607

What do you use to write your HTAs?

Question

I'm still new to the whole HTA game but I've figured out my way around how they work and am really pleased with how powerful they can be.

I struggled at first with getting everything going, I have moderate web design experience with Dreamweaver and I was able to figure out how to edit the doctypes for that to allow editing in design view, but bounce back and forth between HTAedit and Notepad++ to edit code.

Anyone else use any good tools for writing and editing HTAs?

4 answers to this question

notepad ++ is all you need, and then copy the bits and pieces that you find on the internet and you'll be good to go, what else do you need ?

feel free to post some guides for the rest of us :), actually when editing my changes live i use notepad in WinPE on the live code then press F5 to refresh the result

Just my two cents...

Use your favorite web design app to mock up and make the look and feel (sometimes I use PhotoShop first to get the look down, then convert to web). When done, switch to code view and copy that code over to Notepad (or Notepad++) and make it more "code friendly" depending on how your editor does formatting.

When testing, put the .HTA file out on a network share, and in WinPE, press the F8 key to bring up a command window, and then use NET USE to map a network drive to the share containing your .HTA file. That way you can make modifications to the .HTA file on your workstation, and kick it off right away on a test WinPE machine.

Also, if your HTA manipulates Active Directory or the SCCM database, keep in mind that you might have to connect a little differently because WinPE isn't bound to your domain...

• Like 1